037. bank robbery

"Helena was our head buyer. She... she was family, you know? She said it herself, every year at the Christmas party. She said we were the only family she had." The manager says.

"So there were never any signs that she'd do something like this?" Sam asks.

"No. Still can't believe it, even now. That night, Helena came back to the store after closing. Cleaned out all the display cases, and the safe. Edgar -- our night watchman -- he caught her in the act. He didn't know what to do, he'd known her for years. He called me at home."

"And that's when she took his gun?" Miranda asks.

"She shot him in the face. I heard him. Over the phone." The manager says.

"Any idea what her motive could have been?" Sam asks.

"What motive? It makes no sense. Why steal all those diamonds, all that jewelry, and then what? Just dump it somewhere? Just hide it and go home?"

"So you never saw the security camera footage yourself, then?" Sam asks.

"No. The police, they took all the tapes, first thing." The manager says.

"Yeah, of course they did." Dean says.

+++

They pull up to a small house, getting out of the car.

"Five. This is it." Sam says.

"Fucking cops." Dean mutters.

"They're just doing their job, Dean." Sam says.

"No, they're doing our job, only they don't know it, so they suck at it." Dean says. "Talk to me about this bank."

"Uh, Milwaukee National Trust. It was hit about a month ago." Sam informs.

"Same M.O. as the jewelry store?" Dean asks.

"Yep, inside job, longtime employee, the never in a million years type. Dude robs the bank, then goes home and supposedly commits suicide." Sam says.

"The guy Resnick, he was the security guard on duty?" Dean asks.

"Yeah. He was actually beaten unconscious by the teller who heisted the place." Sam says.

"God." Dean mumbles.

"Yeah." Sam knocks on the screen door. "Mr. Resnick? Ronald Resnick?" He calls out. A bright floodlight turns on, the three covering their eyes.

"Ah." Miranda turns away, Sam using one hand to shield her face.

"Son of a--" Dean mutters as the front door opens.

"FBI, Mr. Resnick." Sam tells him.

"Let me see the badge." Ronald orders.

The three pull their badges out, holding them out against the screen door.

"I already gave my statement to the police." Ronald says.

"Yeah, listen, Ronald, um... just some things about your statement we wanted to get some clarification on." Dean says.

"You read it?" Ronald asks.

"Sure did." Dean says.

"You come to listen to what I've got to say?" Ronald asks.

"Well, that's why we're here." Dean says.

"Well. Come on in." Ronald opens the screen door and leads them into the house. Sam shuts the door after he walks in, following the others. They get to a room that's cluttered with stuff, the walls covered in alien photos and a bunch of conspiracy theories.