033. death omen

Miranda is sitting in the interrogation room and slouched in the seat, drumming her fingers on the table out of boredom. She looks up when the door opens, a woman walking in.

"Thought you might want a drink." The woman says, putting a paper cup on the table in front of Miranda.

"Pass." Miranda gives her an annoyed smile. "Can I ask what you're holding us for?"

"Your friend is being held for suspicion of murder. You and the big one, well, we'll find out." The woman says.

"He's not my friend." Miranda says.

"Then why do you stick around?" The woman asks.

"Because in life, you just have to make some sacrifices." Miranda remarks.

"Okay, well, let's talk about your non-friend. The murder charges?" The woman prompts.

"He's a dick, but he wouldn't murder anybody." Miranda says. "You know, you can't hold us without reason."

"Actually, we can for 48 hours." Ballard says, opening a file. Miranda sighs. "Miranda Jade Carpenter, born Miranda Jade Jones." The said woman sighs in annoyance. "You're 23 years old, no job, no home address. Your mother ran out when you were a toddler, left you and your older sister, Bella, with an abusive father. Lived with him until age 8."

"He picked you up from school and beat you up outside of it, resulting in him going to prison and you and your sister going into the foster system."

"I think I know my life story, thanks, though." Miranda remarks.

"Got adopted by Jack and Abigail Carpenter when you were 11. Got into Stanford and took the courses to become a social worker. About a year ago, there was a fire in yours and your boyfriend's, Sam, apartment. One fatality -- your sister, Bella Carpenter. And after she died, both of you fell off the grid."

"It... hit me hard. I needed a break. Sam was also... deeply effected by it. So we're on a road trip with his brother." Miranda says.

"A year long one?" Ballard questions. Miranda shrugs. "How's that going?"

"It's great. We've seen the second largest ball of twine in the continental U.S. More traveling than I've ever done as a kid." Miranda says.

"We ran Dean's fingerprints through AFIS." Ballard informs.

"Good for you, I guess." Miranda mutters.

"Got over a dozen possible hits." Ballard says.

"So you don't have anything concrete is what I'm hearing. Which basically means you have jack shit." Miranda says.

"Well, it makes you wonder what we're gonna find when we run your prints." Ballard comments.

"Let me know when you do, sweetie." Miranda gives her a condescending smile.

"Look, Miranda, you seem like a good kid. Had a good adoptive family, went to a good school, possibly have a good boyfriend." Ballard says. "Right now, St. Louis detectives are exhuming a corpse. Trying to figure out how Dean faked his death... after torturing all those young women. Dean's a bad guy and his life is over, but yours doesn't have to be."

"You want me to be a rat?" Miranda asks.

"No. We caught him red-handed at the Karen Giles murder scene. We just need you to fill in some pieces." Ballard says.

"Why would I tell you anything?" Miranda questions.

"I can talk to the DA and make a deal for you. I can do the same with Sam -- you two can both get on with your lives if you cooperate. Get jobs, get married, have kids. But Dean's life is as good as gone."