~25~: Silent War!

Meanwhile at the duchy:

Oliver was sitting in his study room and the head butler was with him worried as the man he served hasn't slept much in days ever since his adoptive daughter vanished. They couldn't find the spy nor could they find her dead body or herself. A gloomy air hung around the whole mansion and everyone was on edge nowadays as well. The servants who served Lady Viviana, were all searching for her going after every clue they got but nothing ever came out of it.

"Sire, you should rest. It will not do the Lady good to see you in such a state."

"Rest?"

"Yes, Sire."

"How can I rest if they can't find her?"

"What if she returns seeing you like this, Sire. She would also not like it."

"But how can I rest when I keep worrying about her?"

"You need it Sire. This will only make your health deteriorate and no matter how strong you are, you are still a human as well."

The fact still remained no matter how much Delca was talking about the human side of the duke's family, Oliver was still partially a beast. He was stronger and more agile than others. It should be him who had to deal with assassins and not a daughter he brought home for a week. He knew how much she looked like his sister who they all thought died but now that they saw her, they were all not sure about that. It was the duke himself who had a search party to look for their lost or dead sister again. However nothing came out and as of now, the new possibility of faking her death arose. The possibility was very low but looking at how Viviana was dressed when they found her, the chances of this were there.

Then again it was more likely that Oliver's sister gave birth and was dead. The person who took care of Viviana would be a close friend who they found dead the very same day they found Viviana. If this assumption was true then Viviana was certainly their relative and worth all the love and attention she would get.

It was just a mystery no matter how one would think about it. There were no hard leads about Viviana's true origin but it was for sure that she was one of them and that the blood in her veins were thicker than any of their own. Oliver could even bet that she should be more on the best side than human. However she was still acting like one, not fitted for her age and more mature but still a human person.

"I hate it."

"What exactly?"

"I am not just a human, the blood of a dragon is flowing through my veins and yet I am powerless."

"She will come back to us."

"How can you know that?"

"I simply believe in that."

"Does this make it better?"

"Would the Sire rather believe she is dead?"

"Don't even joke about that."

There was a slight chance that Viviana managed to get away and was safe. Even if this was a very unlikely possibility it was still there. Delca however believed that it was more likely to be the case as they found a white scale on the ground. No one knew where it came from but seeing it alone made the butler think that the girl was just different from them. Even Oliver knew about that scale and didn't want to believe it. It was a sturdy scale. Something he knew from experience. He himself could manifest some scales on his arms. It was something he liked to do in order to protect himself but seeing a white scale on the ground made him think that Viviana somehow managed to manifest them. That meant that she was no longer just powerless. If that was true then she should have survived the attack and should be somewhere out there.... But that was just his hypothesis.