~10~: Jealousy over abilities

There was a huge second or two where no one talked at all before I felt a pat on my head. This time I was so surprised that I flinched away a bit. It did take me a while to realize that my father just patted me and as much as I thought he was about to scold me, as much as I was surprised about the sudden change. No one in this room looked at me with spite nor anger nor anything else but worry and a mix of happiness. Was this really a dysfunctional family? I couldn't tell that much at all. At first glance they looked happy and no one could say they were hidden monsters or even descendants of dragons. They acted like normal people and they looked like normal people. Yet something was different about them all and they all had their very own personality quirk. No one was normal here. That was what the book taught me.

"Am I in trouble now?"

Now that I was looking at my father, I could tell that he was surprised but I would rather have it over than him scolding me later on. So I patiently waited for something like a hit or a scream or anything basically that would show that he was angry but what I got in the end was nothing but a man looking quite confused at my reaction.

"For what?"

"I hit her and that was wrong."

"It's good that you know it is wrong but keep in mind that we are not normal people as well."

"Hm?"

"Vivi, we don't feel pain like other people. Besides, we all have our own little ability. Look!"

When Alex finished saying that, he suddenly summoned some fire around us. Somewhat it made sense with his bright red hair. I already thought about that when I read the description in the book. So I knew that Alex was good with fire and Ryan was good with ice and water. Then my father who had quite dark hair was really good with shadows and the duke, my grandfather, who had brownish green hair was good with nature and earth. This was what the book described their ability. Though there was not much after that since they all die quite at the beginning after getting tricked and treated like some kind of dog.

"Pretty...."

"Then how do you like this?"

Now it was Raymonds time to show off what he could do with ice and water. It looked pretty as well. He made the water float in the middle of the air but froze it in a nice form after he made what he wanted. The animals that he created for a bit looked soo lively and for a second I thought that they had their own mind as well.

"WOW!"

"Hmpf!"

That one big mood could be heard as clear as shout out. My father was either not pleased or started to get annoyed whatever it was, so I decided to give him some attention as well. From what I gathered so far was that he wanted to have attention. This was why he was always adopting kids for a certain amount of time till he was getting tired of it. Something he was doing over and over again that his family even knew about and just gave up. I remember there was one saying that his father told him: "Do whatever you want but if one of them dies, you will take the responsibility for them."

Come to think of it... we are talking about abilities.

They sure know about fathers but I shouldn't know it!

Better ask and play it innocent, not as if I don't already know about it anyways.

I wonder if I would have an ability as well then...

"Father, what's your ability?"

"I can control shadows."

"Show me! Show me! Show me!"

Somehow, I felt like a child again. All of the sudden, I remembered the description of the ability and became really really curious about it. It's something I always wanted to see. From all abilities, his was more powerful than any other family member. It was even written down that it was majestic and breathtakingly beautiful. Now that I had the chance to see it in person, I couldn't help it but wanted to see it soo badly.