Chapter Twenty-Seven

Chris and Savannah found it increasingly challenging to keep their hands off each other during the following two months leading up to Savannah's birthday. As the special day arrived, Savannah sat in a salon alongside Lucy and her sister Sam, waiting for their massages. Curiosity got the better of her, and she turned to Lucy. "What's the deal with Chris insisting that I leave the house today?"

Lucy shrugged nonchalantly. "He said it's your birthday, and he wanted to ensure you had a good day since you haven't had many pleasant memories associated with it. He's even paying for all of us to be pampered, so honestly, I don't really care."

Sam and Savannah burst into laughter at Lucy's response just as their names were called for the massages. After enjoying the massages, the trio proceeded to indulge in facials and have their nails done, followed by a shopping spree. While browsing through dresses, Savannah glanced at Lucy once again. "Lucy, I'm asking one more time. Is there a particular reason Chris wants me out of the house for the entire day?"

Lucy chuckled. "He mentioned that you'd be stubborn and keep pestering him about it. But he also told me to stand my ground and not spill the beans because we love you. So, zip it and pick a dress. I think green would look amazing with your eyes."

Savannah let out a sigh. "Fine. I hope all of this is worth it. He knows how much I dislike my birthday."

Lucy placed a reassuring hand on Savannah's shoulder. "I know, Alex told me about it. I'm sorry. But I promise, it'll be worth it. Chris just wants to create a happier memory for you. He loves you."

Savannah nodded appreciatively. "I know he does. Thank you." After considering her options, she selected a short emerald green dress with pleated shoulder details and a small hem slit. She knew it would drive Chris crazy to see her in it. With the assistance of the girls, she also chose a pair of new black heels before heading off to get her hair and makeup done. As she glanced at Lucy, who was observing her transformation, she couldn't help but ask, "Does this end with a proposal tonight?"

Lucy shook her head, a mischievous smile playing on her lips. "I'd assume it ends with both of you naked in bed."

Savannah laughed, catching on to her friend's implication. "You know what I meant."

Lucy jokingly pressed her fingers against her lips in a 'zipping' motion. "No spoilers, Savannah. Just enjoy your evening."

Savannah nodded, excitement bubbling within her. "Okay. Okay."

***

After her day with the girls, Savannah returned home to find the house enveloped in darkness. Following a trail of candles, she was led to the backyard where Chris had adorned an arch trellis with twinkling lights. A table adorned with flickering candles and plated food awaited her underneath. Dressed in dark slacks and a black polo, Chris stood, reminiscent of the first time he entered her apartment, instantly setting her mind ablaze with a whirlwind of emotions.

"Savannah, my god. You look amazing," Chris chuckled as she spun around for him. His gaze traveled up her legs to the hem of her dress, which barely reached halfway down her thigh. She knew precisely how to drive him wild. Pulling out her chair, he gestured for her to sit. "Sit, love." He took his seat across from her, watching her intently. "Did you have a good day with the girls?"

Before she could answer, Scott emerged, dressed in a tux and carrying a bottle of wine. "Really?"

Scott winked at her, a grin spreading across his face. "Happy birthday, Savannah." He poured them both a glass of wine before vanishing back into the house.

"Where's Robbie?" she inquired.

"With my mother for the night," Chris replied, motioning towards the house. "He'll leave after he serves dessert, and then it'll be just us."