Chapter Twenty-One

Savannah's heart races as she hears Chris knock on the door, her anticipation mixed with nervousness. She desperately hopes he isn't consumed by anger or hatred. Opening the door, she finds herself enveloped in Chris's comforting embrace. The warmth of his arms reassures her, and she invites him inside, eager to share what she has to say.

With a blend of anticipation and concern, Chris nods and asks, "Okay. I'm here, Savi. What am I doing here?" His nervousness is palpable as he anxiously waits for her response. In his heart, he silently prays that she won't reveal that she's involved with someone else.

Savannah lets out a sigh, her voice quivering with emotion. "Okay, please don't hate me. I love you." Her plea is filled with sincerity, a plea for understanding and forgiveness.

Chris shakes his head, momentarily distracted as he notices an older woman emerging from another room, cradling a baby. His attention shifts to the tiny bundle, his eyes widening with surprise.

Taking the baby from her mother, Savannah introduces Chris to her mother, Carol. She then presents the child to Chris, placing him gently in his arms. "And this is your son, Robert. Robert Alexander." The revelation leaves Carol in a state of astonishment and excitement as she processes the news.

"You mean to tell me he's the father of your baby? You never once thought to tell me you were carrying Captain America's baby?" Carol's words carry a mix of shock and awe.

"M-Mom! Can you leave us, please?" Savannah implores, her voice filled with urgency, as she urges her mother to give them some privacy. Although hesitant, Carol eventually complies, leaving them alone to navigate this revelation. Savannah turns to Chris, her eyes reflecting her anxiety. "Say something, please."

Chris shakes his head, his gaze locked on the delicate newborn, tears welling up in his eyes. "He's so tiny." Overwhelmed with the realization that this fragile life is his own flesh and blood, he cannot contain the tears that fall gently onto the baby's head. He tenderly caresses the baby's scalp, wiping away the teardrops with his thumb.

"He's only three weeks old. He arrived a little earlier than expected. He was due this week. I must have gotten pregnant right before I left. I'm sorry I kept it from you, Chris," Savannah explains, her voice filled with regret and vulnerability.

"I don't know what to say." Chris gently returns the baby to Savannah, watching as she places him in a bassinet. "Did you know when you left that you were pregnant?"

Savannah nods, her voice heavy with remorse. "I found out right before I left."

Chris's emotions surge, tears streaming down his face. "Then how could you leave?" The longing for a love reciprocated and a family of his own laces his words. He feels as though he has already missed out on so much.

Seeking solace in his embrace, Savannah wraps her arms around Chris. "I'm sorry, Chris. We weren't in a good place. I didn't want to be around in that state. Can you forgive me?"

Chris nods, his tears mingling with a bittersweet smile. "Of course I can." As he wipes his cheeks, his voice reflects a mix of emotions. "I was working on trying to get us to a good place. You should have given me the chance."

"I know. I'm sorry! I'm here now. I'm not going anywhere. And I'm not asking for anything. I just want you to be involved. I always intended to come back. I would never keep your son from you, I hope you know that. I just needed space," Savannah assures him, her voice filled with earnestness and a deep longing for understanding.

Chris nods, his arms embracing her tightly. "I know. I love you, Savi."

"You let him call you Savi? You hate being called Savi," Savannah's mother interjects as she returns to the room.