Chapter 36: Can't Take This Anymore

CHAPTER 36: Can't Take This Anymore

Akira's P.O.V.

"Akira?"

I quickly closed my laptop as Mommy entered my room.

"Haru is here," she said with a smile.

"Okay po." I stood up from my bed and followed Mommy to see Haru sitting on the couch with a big smile.

"Genkidatta?" How have you been? he greeted me with a wide grin.

"Surviving, I guess." I sat down beside him.

"I miss you," he said, but I didn't reply. "Wait... Did you cry?" he asked, looking straight into my eyes.

I avoided his gaze and looked down. It was obvious that my eyes were swollen. How many days have I been like this? I couldn't even count. Since we left the Philippines, it felt like there was no joy left in my life. This life is suffocating. If only I had a choice, I wouldn't want to live under my dad's control. I couldn't even go out to breathe fresh air. That's his rule until Haru and I get married. Haru was gone for weeks, and I felt like I was held captive.

"Anyway, Haru. Have you eaten?" My mom changed the topic. "I'll prepare the food, okay? You can wait a little longer." Mom stood up and went straight to the kitchen without waiting for Haru's response.

"Do you miss her?" mayamaya ay untag niya.

I closed my eyes to hold back my tears. I always miss her... always. We have no communication with each other. I tried to find her on social media, but I failed. I couldn't even find her friends. I didn't know what else to do. I wanted to check up on her and know how she's doing.

"Why don't you... come back to the Philippines to see her?" he suggested.

"Stop it, Haru. We both know I have no power to decide on my own. You know my dad better than me, don't you? Stop suggesting things that are not even possible to happen," I blurted out.

He became silent until a man entered our house. He wore a plain reaction that was always intimidating, and he walked towards us.

"Haru?!" A smile appeared on his lips as he saw Haru. "You're back!" he exclaimed, and authority was still visible in his voice.

Haru stood up to greet my dad, and they happily hugged each other.

"How was your vacation?" my dad asked.

"It was pretty fun, and we really enjoyed it."

"That's good! And now you're back, you and my daughter can finally hang out together. You should invite her for a date or vacation before your wedding."

I clenched my fists, knowing that they were ignoring me. Well, even if Haru and I didn't want to get married, we had no choice. We're like young puppets, and our parents were playing as our puppeteers.

After being away for weeks, Haru and my dad exchanged some talks. I was left alone in the living room, so I decided to go back to my room and continue working on my laptop, which I had abandoned earlier.

I spent the whole afternoon locked inside my room. I had given up on finding Leigh on social media, so I took out pictures of her from my drawer and scattered them on my bed. This was the time when we confessed our feelings for each other, and we were being watched by Daddy's informant. I also looked at the bracelet that I always wore on my wrist.

I missed her so much. How is she doing now? What is she up to? Now, I regret everything. I regret following my dad's orders. I wish I didn't leave the Philippines. I wish I stayed by her side. I didn't care about my life anymore. I had only been happy once in my life, and it was because of Leigh.