FACE UP

"What have you got to say for yourself?" Was the first and last question Lee asked Dylan.

The call came early in the morning. Lee had to walk into his son's room to believe the boy wasn't there. "He's taking a piss," Lee muttered, returning to his room to dress.

"Lee, what's going on?"

"It's Dylan. He had a bad trip."

Sana didn't have the time to ask if the trip Lee alluded to was the one she thought of when the man stormed off, mumbling all the swear words created under the sun.

Lee had seen Candy's mother before, but it was the first time the woman spoke with spite. The warning was loud and clear when Lee picked up Dylan.

"I don't want your boy around my daughter. She's been depressed and almost starving herself over him. I'm tired of seeing her this way."

"Mum, please," Candy pleaded. The scene couldn't be more embarrassing for the girl who stood next to her mother; eyes downcasted on her fluffy slippers.

"Don't mum me. Look at you. The street lampost has more watts streaming through it than you have calories in your body."

It was true; Lee barely recognized the girl who seemed like a shadow of herself. Candy was the first to warn him about Dylan's behavioral change. He should have taken action then. Now it was too late, or was it?

Candy's mom turned to Dylan, "Leave my daughter alone. Do you hear me? Go and do your experience elsewhere. She doesn't need a toxic boyfriend."

"I'm sorry," was all the boy said before leaving the room for his father's car.

Lee attempted to pick up on his son's apology, "I'm awfully sorry for this. Is there anything I can do?"

In other circumstances, Lee would have told the woman to sod off that his boy was having a hard time too, but he couldn't. Lee couldn't say it was because he and Camille had messed up that Dylan wasn't himself.

"Just keep your son away from my daughter," Candy's mom said, closing the conversation.

Lee left to join Dylan in the car. The drive home was a silent one that made Dylan uncomfortable. He wanted his father to roar with insults and sanctions, but nothing came. The situation was a first, and Lee's calm caught Dylan off guard. His father didn't say a word even as they entered their home. Dylan went straight to his room. He couldn't guess that his father's silence was due to massive deception. Lee couldn't get over the boy smoking and putting his life in danger when he recalled how Dylan forced him to stop.

"Is everything alright?" Sana asked as Lee fell back on the sofa next to her.

Lee threw back his head and covered his eyes with his hands, "will this ever stop? Fucking hell." Lee wiped his eyes. Sana couldn't tell if his eyes were bloodshot from tears or rubbing. Either way, the man wasn't in perky ville dancing the lambada of joy.

Anger and frustration, Lee was mad, not at Dylan but himself. It was entirely his fault. No, it was theirs, Camille's, Janet's, and even Sana's.

Thus the man decided to share the weight of the burden. He grabbed his phone.

"Camille."

"What do you want?" Camille asked.

"Don't worry; it isn't a courtesy call. It's about our son. You know the sixteen-year-old boy who almost had an overdose last night because of the shit we're making him go through. So be a bloody mother and bring your arse right here, now."

Lee hung up, leaving Camille blinking at the sound of the dial tone.

That was that, thought Lee. He didn't think he exaggerated the slightest. What he said was true; things could have been worse for Dylan. Lee even wondered if Dylan didn't need a check-up. The man went ahead and booked an appointment. One never knew; it was better to be on the safe than the sorry side.