FIRST DAY

Lee opened his eyes as soon as he felt the weight lift from the mattress. His alarm beamed green at 5:30 AM.

Sana was well aware that the nine to five had become a myth. The British worked more than nine hours a day with a lunch that lasted less than an hour. British office hours began at 8 AM. An employee left work at 5:30 PM, the earliest.

The woman who didn't want to be late chose her outfit the night before. She went for a black knee-length bodycon dress, a short jean jacket, and a pair of boots from the brand representing her uniform.

Sana thought of the fuss Lee had made while putting on her body lotion.

He had seen her work in the dress before, yet he seemed displeased. Actually, the man commented negatively on all the outfits she tried.

"I might as well go naked," Sana ended up saying and terminating the man's remarks with her words. As usual, Sana didn't guess what bothered her lover. The woman stressed enough about her first day at the head office. She had no time to think of Lees' jealousy.

For behind the commentary laid the angst of Sanas' collaboration with the lethal Olaf.

Sana tied her hair in a top knot and went down to find coffee ready and toast ready to pop up.

She smiled, "Lee, you needn't get up. I tried not to make too much noise as possible to let you sleep."

"You didn't think I'd miss your first day, did you?" He replied.

Lee didn't forget the essential. Despite the apprehension, he knew Sana needed his support, and even if she didn't, Lee wanted her to know he rooted for her.

The woman had left her country, friends, and routines to be with him. Though some would say, well, it's natural she's in love, Lee didn't belittle what he saw as a sacrifice.

It was probably the first time someone had such a gesture in his respect.

Sana sat down, and Lee joined her.

"How are you feeling?"

"Like it's the first day of school," the woman said and sketched a nervous smile.

"Yeah, I hear you. I'd say it's more like the first day in the farmyard x The Office. Head office is so noisy, and I heard from Micheal the new building with product and marketing in the mix is a riot."

"Thank you, Lee. Your words are so reassuring."

"What, those departments are the bloodㅡ, I mean the frigging noisest, and they're so budget-consuming for nonsense. If there's a lot wasting the company's money, it's those services. Do you know how many POS they reprint because of spelling errors or typos?" The man said and passed Sana the sugar before she asked.

"Well, at least I can directly communicate with them for the French POS. There's always an error somewhere," Sana added and took a square of sugar which she popped in her coffee before taking a sip.

"See, I told you. They're bloodㅡ, flipping incompetent. I swear, I would have fired the whole lot if they wasted my money like that. I mean, they're always talking about carbon imprint and seem to be blind two the double cost of sending rectified POS."

Sana nodded; Lee had a point. Every time there was an error, Sana could expect a next-day delivery from UPS or DHL. Some services used delivery companies for the most insignificant things, from sale swing tags to till point retail policies when these could be either added in a box during deliveries or sent all at once.

"Well, I hope I'll be able to discuss such things with some of them."

Lee wanted to warn her about trying to make too many connections. Rare were those who would care to be friends. Most would speak to her courtesy while the woman would believe in establishing a friendship.