BREAKING EGGS

One would imagine Lee rejoiced about the failed insemination, but he had another issue that put his relationship with Sana on the back burner.

Dylan.

Lee thought he would avoid the rebellious stage, but here it was. Dylan was no longer the sweet baby that thought his dad was a superhero. Walled in his silence, the boy became a stranger to his father.

"Hi Candy, sorry to bother you at this hour, but is Dylan with you?"

Candy had to take a second look at her phone to see the hour. It was a quarter past midnight. The girl wiped her eye and sat up, "no, Mr. Cook. Dylan isn't here. Did something happen?"

"What he isn't with you?" Lee exclaimed.

The father was surprised. He imagined Dylan spent more time with Candy since he was less at home.

"Mr. Cook?"

"Yes, Candy," Lee said eagerly.

The girl hesitated. She didn't know if it was worth mentioning her concerns and current situation with Dylan. Still, she went ahead with it.

"Mr. Cook, Dylan, and I-. I think it's over."

The girl balled her hands into fists to prevent herself from crying a river. She hated how the boy ignored her and tried to pretend she was unaffected, but it hurt as all first loves do.

Lee frowned; the announcement was odd news to him, "what do you mean by you think it's over? It's only over when either one says so?"

Kids, Lee thought. For Lee, one had to be vocal about their desires. Keeping quiet only brought about situations like his marriage with Camille. If one asked Lee, silence and the lack of communication were what ruined their marriage.

Camile concealed her thoughts while he closed his eyes on the things he disliked thinking they would resorb themselves with time.

Candy bit her lips; how was she to explain how her relationship with Dylan had become?

Lee realized that his reaction might have come off intimidating, "sorry, Candy, it's just. I wasn't aware. I thought things were fine between you two."

"It's okay, Mr. Cook."

Lee paid extra attention to Candy's words. Teens gave hints. They said what was on their minds. It was the adult's task to listen when they tried to express what they considered complex feelings.

"Dylan isn't talking to me anymore. He hangs out with other people whoㅡhe isn'tㅡhe's different, Mr. Cook. I can't explain it, and he's just different."

Different.

It was almost a very romantic way to put it, thought Lee before questionning Candy again.

"So he isn't talking to you?" Lee asked.

The girl sighed. Wasn't it what she said?

"No, not since he slept over," Candy replied.

"Did anything particular happen then? Did you two argue?" Lee asked.

"No, nothing."

Lee was almost sure the girl sobbed.

For Candy, nothing occurred. She refused to believe her decision not to sleep with Dylan brought about all the nonsense because it didn't. It was something that happened before he came to her place, and perhaps her reaction was the last straw that made the boy lose it. Dylan sought comfort, and Candy refused to use her body to offer that.

"I'm worried, Mr. Cook. Dylan seems disturbed, and I don't know how to help him."

Lee sighed as he empathized with the girl. He wished to say they were in the same boat and that he, too, was lost and without means in front of his son's deception.