Chapter 50

Flashbacks

***

Solana

"You want to teach at the University?" I calmly nodded my head when my father asked me that question.

"... I've finally decided to accept your offer."

"That's a good choice." He said, which made me smile a little, "Have you told your husband about it?"

But that instantly disappeared the moment he mentioned that word. Until now, I still can't get used to it— ayoko din talaga. I will never see him as my husband.

"Dad.. you know David and I don't have that kind of relationship—"

"But you're still married to him." He cuts me off and gave me a sharp gaze. "It's been a year already, Solana. Kasal na kayong dalawa, kaya walang mali kung sasabihin mo sa kanya ang mga plano mo. I don't want the Hendricks to think that my daughter is refusing to acknowledge that she is married to their son."

I smiled sadly and gave him a slight nod.

"You can start on Monday. I'll be assigning you to the business management department."

I looked up to him in surprise, "I'm.. actually planning to apply in the fine arts department." I nervously said.

My father stared at me with no emotion seen on his face, and suddenly, he gave out a disappointed smile which immediately disappeared.

"Alright."

I know my dad was not in favor of me and my love for doing art stuff. Though he was the one who introduced it to me when I was younger, I kept on asking him about the paintings we've seen in Spain. Nagpapasalamat pa rin ako na since my mom died, hindi niya na ako pinagbabawalan pa to pursue arts and when I was in college I still chose to enroll in fine arts and got a masters degree.

I know that it comes with a price.

And that is to obey his rules and orders— the reason why I'm in this marriage situation and still have limited choices in my own life.

My mom was the same as me.

We're both into arts, but the difference is.. she didn't took it seriously when she was younger and treated it as a hobby.. as much as my dad hated it, that was the only thing that holds a special place in his heart.

Because my mom was good at it.

"Thank you, dad."

"If that's all, you can escort yourself out."

Iniwas niya na ang tingin sa'kin and didn't bother to say anything as I stand here. I said a low goodbye before leaving. As I got out of the office, I heard a series of chuckles and laughter from a far distance and saw Sydney talking to the employees.

Everyone seemed to like her.

And that made me groan a little.

My sister and I are the complete opposite of each other. But she got both of our parent's qualities. Business-minded like our father, but has a heart of gold like our mother. Looking at her having her life put together made me despise her a little bit.