Chapter 20

Khione

"I'm sorry.."

"B-but I can't do this right now. I can't reciprocate what you feel for me, Ms. Avila."

The fireworks have now appeared and the crowd's cheers were much louder than earlier. But what I'm feeling now is quite the opposite.

Para ako'ng binuhusan ng malamig na yelo after hearing that statement from her.

She wiped her tears gently and composed herself before stepping back away from me, ngayon ay nakatayo lang ito at halatang pinipigilan ang mga luhang nagbabahid sa maganda niyang mukha. I can't seem to fathom what I feel right now.

"S-so.. everything.. meant nothing to you?"

"I think you misunderstood the things that were happening between us." She exhaled deeply. "I should've stopped this the moment that kiss happened."

Hindi ko na napigilan ang mga luhang kanina ko pa gustong pakawalan, so it really meant nothing to her. All this time— I was the only one who had feelings for her.

"I-I'm gonna.. let this all pass. And I think it's best if we keep some distance for a while, Ms. Avila."

Lalong kumirot ang puso ko dahil sa gusto niyang mangyari, every word that comes out from mouth feels like a needle poking through my heart.

".. And you really waited for me to confess before you realize that this was just nothing."

Iniwas niya ang tingin sa'kin as she ran her fingers through her hair like she was frustrated of this conversation.

"Yes. Happy? I don't like you– I don't feel the same way as you do."

"Y-you're so unfair.."

"Those things that happened between us were a big mistake. I'm doing you a favor, Ms. Avila." Her breath was now shaky as I avoided her gaze. "..What you feel for me is merely an infatuation— you're young.. nadadala ka lang sa mga nangyayari, and I wish that I should've stopped it sooner."

Tanging mahinang tango lang tugon ko sa mga salitang binibitawan niya. Gago, ang sakit pala 'no? Parang hindi ko na kaya marinig kung ano pa ang sasabihin niya.

Lahat ng nararamdaman ko ay naghahalo-halo na, pagka dismaya, hiya, at lungkot. Pero kahit ano pa ang sabihin niya ay hindi ko pa rin kayang magalit sa kanya.

All I want now is to leave and be alone.

Away from this chaos.

Away from her.

"O-okay." I nodded my head at nagsimulang kunin ang mga gamit ko na nasa picnic mat. "Pasensya na po."

Hindi ko na ito hinintay sumagot dahil nagsimula na ako'ng maglakad, I don't know where I'll go, ang gusto ko lang ay ilabas 'tong nararamdaman ko ngayon. Gusto ko ibuhos lahat ng luha ko without her seeing me in this state.

When I was about to open the door, I halted my steps to say my last few words.

"I-I'll try not to bother you, Ms. Clemonte."