Chapter 2

Khione

"Ms. Avila, what the hell are you doing?!"

I was astonished to see a new emotion coming out from Professor Clemonte, her frowning face did not seem to faze me as I was lost staring at her eyes that were expressing irritation. Kahit naiinis siya, she still composed herself and in an instant her blank face appeared again when I didn't respond to her.

My eyes averted to our position that appeared to be hugging each other, her arms were wrapped around my waist as she supported my weight para hindi ako matumba after we bumped into each other earlier, while mine was wrapped all over her— tightly.

Nakaramdam ako bigla ng init sa mukha ko and I know that the redness was evident on me dahil maski si Professor Clemonte looked away when the realization hits her too.

"Students are not allowed to use the elevator unless they're with a faculty member or when there are emergencies. And certainly your eyes exist to see who's infront of you." Bakas sa boses nito ang pagka-irita kaya naman napayuko nalang ako at lumayo sa pagkakayakap sa kanya. Inayos ko na lang ang pagkakatayo dahil hindi ko rin alam kung ano ang gagawin para mawala ang pamumula ko. Gosh, Khio?! I know you're an awkward person pero why am I being like this when I'm with Ms. Clemonte?! Nakakahiya.

"I–I.. Sorry po. I wasn't paying attention dahil nakatuon po yung isip ko sa oras." Such a crappy reason. "Regarding naman po sa paggamit ng elevator, Ms. Vivien told me to use it since mala-late na po ako sa class since she asked for my help earlier."

Tumaas naman ang kilay nito and looked at her watch para siguro tignan kung anong oras na, her face didn't change at napabitaw nalang ng buntong hininga.

"Which floor are you going? I'll come with you and explain to your Professor about what happened."

"Okay lang naman po, Ms. Clemonte. I can use the stairs din po and will explain to the next Professor."

Hindi naman ito sumagot at tinitigan lang ako, ayan na naman siya. I'm really starting to get conscious with the way she looks at me. And it's just the first day! I don't think I can survive a year if I had to endure her empty stares at me. It's hard to decipher what she really thinks and I shouldn't even do that in the first place.

"Just get in."

"Pero–"

"15 minutes late and you'll be considered absent, now get in or I won't be offering it again if you refuse." Her cold voice echoed through the elevator which sent shivers on my spine. Wala na rin akong nagawa at tumabi nalang sa kanya sa loob.

"Which floor?"

"7th po."

She pressed the 7th floor button and when the elevator closed, I can finally feel the silence taking over. Medyo mahaba rin ang interval ng pag-akyat dahil kakagaling lang namin sa ground floor. I was wondering why Ms. Clemonte was going down there when she had a class kanina lang.

But after knowing that she and Ms. Vivien are close, baka pupuntahan niya rin ito sa office nito.

Ding!

Nauna ng lumabas si Ms. Clemonte and asked which room I'm assigned to, sinabi ko agad na nasa room 703 and she started walking and led me there where the class was on-going na pala. When she appeared in front of the classroom, the Professor in charge excused herself and went out to greet her habang ako naman ay nahihiyang nakasunod lang kay Ms. Clemonte sa likod niya.

"Professor Clemonte, what brings you here in my class?"

"Sorry for the interruption, Professor Aguilar. I'm just here to accompany Ms. Avila in your class, she was late because I asked her to help me with something earlier. I apologize for the inconvenience."