Chapter 7

Khione

"Literal na grab something to eat po pala yung tinutukoy niyo, Ms. Solana."

"What's wrong with fastfood?"

"Wala naman po, hindi lang ako makapaniwala na you're eating fast food pala."

She huffed at me as we walked towards the park. Yep, Professor Solana Clemonte bought us fast food drive thru and told me that she'd like to eat out meaning sa labas talaga. 'Di naman ako nainform na literal pala kung mag-aya si Ms. Solana. I can't believe that someone like her does this occasionally.

"Ano ba ang akala mo sa'kin, Avila? Of course I eat fast food." Iritang saad nito, sungit talaga.

When we arrived at the usual spot kung saan siya umuupo agad naman niyang ibinababa ang mga pagkain sa bench. I could see why she liked it here, kumpara sa ibang corners this spot has all the view around the park and mas tago rin so other people won't see us too.

"Quite peaceful isn't it?" She asked and sat on the bench. "The last time I've been here was before school started, I almost forgot about it since we've been busy around the campus."

Umupo na rin ako sa tabi niya at kinuha ang burger na inorder namin kanina sabay binuksan ito and gave it to her. "Is there a reason why you wanted to come here today?"

Ilang segundo rin nagtagal ang burger na hawak ko sa kamay dahil tinitigan lang ito ni Ms. Solana, I gently nudged her elbow para kunin niya ito. Nakita ko naman na namula ito saglit bago kinuha ang burger.

"I just want to breathe." She said and took a bite of her food. "Being at home feels like I'm alone, so I tend to go home late.. remember when I drove you home from your work? you were with... Vivien. I just came home from the campus that night."

The way she mentioned Ms. Vivien's name made me gulp dahil iba yung pagkakasabi niya no'n. But when I heard the last one, it somehow made me sad. Imagine having it all but you still feel alone even in your own home.

"Have you always felt that way, Ms. Solana?"

"I guess?" She sighed.

I just stared at her and hummed, waiting for her to continue what she's about to say.

"It's been years since I felt excitement, I've been living just for the sake of being alive. It feels empty.. dull and lifeless. I don't even know if what I'm saying makes sense right now." She nodded her head. "That's why art is my only escape. When moments come that nothing feels right anymore, any form of art brings back that life na akala ko ay matagal nang patay. But even art isn't enough to make me happy.. It feels repetitive. And I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm afraid that I might be losing my passion."

Para namang tinutusok ang puso ko nang sabihin niya sa'kin  'yon. As someone who admires her for her passion— it's like losing a big part of my life ano pa kaya sa kanya na siya ang nakakaramdam nito ngayon.

I placed my burger down and held her available hand tightly. "I hate that you see it that way, Ms. Solana. I think you have always been great and I admire you because of how passionate you are when it comes to art— I can see and feel that you love what you're doing everytime you talk about it during your classes and even earlier sa training natin."

I looked at her and her gaze softened after I said that. "You're not losing your passion.. You just need some time to find what excites and inspires you to live the life you have always wanted. And I truly believe that you have it within you."

Matapos no'n ay unti-unti ko na ring binitawan ang kamay niya dahil nakaramdam na ako ng hiya dahil sa mga titig nito.

"You admire me?" She asked with a teasing smile.