68

Ban Hua and Rong Xia took the beggars to the Capital and handed them to the Court of Judicature and Revision.

Rong Xia smiled an apology, "I want to stay with you a little longer, but due to what we have encountered, I am afraid I have to go to the Palace."

Ban Hua nodded, "This is an urgent official business, you can feel free."

Rong Xia got on top of his horse, his eyes followed as Ban Hua walked away. He asked Du Jiu, "The magistrate of Qizhou is from Shi family?"

Du Jiu nodded, "The magistrate of Qizhou is Shi-furen's nephew from her maternal family side."

"This magistrate is quite vicious, many refugees trying to flee the disaster have been chased and killed on the way. Only a few can reach the Capital."

Rong Xia turned his horse around, "Find out who is secretly protecting them."

Without anyone protecting, how could this family of old and young reach the Capital? Their horses and valuables were gone, but they still stayed on the road. Either they were well prepared, or very determined to reach the Capital to report to the Emperor?

"Master, now that you are going to the Palace, Shi family....."

"I took these people in, if I pretend ignorance, His Majesty wouldn't believe me." Rong Xia's lowered eyes concealed the coldness within. "You don't need to worry, I have a plan."

Du Jiu knew his master had a plan, he dared not speak more.

At home Ban Hua casually chatted with her family about this matter.

"Snowstorm?" Yin-shi frowned, "Qizhou isn't far from the Capital. How bold the local official is to cover this up?"

Last winter's snow was heavier than the previous year's, but there was no news of any disaster. The officials had been saying things like 'auspicious snow augurs a bountiful year', no disaster mentioned.

"Just him alone isn't enough to cover up something this big." Ban Huai was very serious, "More likely he has allies in the Capital."

"Who?" Ban Heng curiously asked.

"How do I know?" Ban Huai said as a matter-of-fact, "Me, this father of yours, if I knew these things, would I still be a wastrel?"

Ban Heng nodded, "That's right too."

Everytime this pair of father and son bantered like this, Yin-shi always felt they were a mess. Had they not been her own husband and son, they would have been too annoying to even look at.

"My good girl, did you go with Rong Junpo to look at peacocks today?" Ban Huai looked at Ban Hua with suspicion, "Just a few peacocks and you spent so much time to look?"

"I ran into something on the way, and had some trouble with Shi family miss....."

"Shi family again?" Ban Huai frowned, "Since Yan family lost power, Shi family has been getting more and more rampant. The Crown Prince hasn't ascended yet, and they have been acting like they were the nation's in-laws. They will bring troubles to the Crown Prince."

The Bans fell silent at once. They still remembered that the downfall of Yan family was...... somewhat related to them.

T/N – (Refresher) Remember Yan Zhen and his misguided infatuation.

"Shi family getting more rampant, we don't need to be afraid." Ban Huai slapped the table, "Hua Hua, you can't lose to her. We don't rely on Shi family for anything."

"That little miss Shi looks fine, it's just that she has too much in her mind." Yin-shi shook her head, said to Ban Hua, "She better stops it, otherwise her life will be tiring."