62

"I don't know."

The room was quiet for a while, Shi Jin's face as as calm as usual, "I have asked around but noone knows who Rong Xia is engaged to, perhaps......" Shi Jin turned away to avoid Shi Feixian's gaze, "Perhaps she isn't someone in the Capital."

Most of Daye's prestigious families were concentrated in the Capital, but it didn't mean only Capital had prestigious families.

"Really?" Shi Feixian looked at Shi Jin whose head was bowed as he poured two cups of tea. He handed one cup to Shi Feixian, the other was for himself.

"Sorry, I can't help you."

"No, it's me who was too impatient." Shi Feixian lifted the teacup for a sip. The tea was slightly cold, the impulsive urge in her heart was extinguished. "Brother, thank you."

Shi Jin shook his head, "Between you and I, us brother and sister, no need to be that polite."

Shi Feixian forced a smile, clenching the teacup in her palm tightly.

Shi Jin returned to his own courtyard. After dismissing all the servants, he picked up a Buddhist scripture from the shelves and recited from it again and again. After almost half a shichen, he tossed the scripture on the desk and closed his eyes.

* 1 shichen = 2 hours

"Gongzi, the Minister is looking for you." A pageboy called out from outside.

Shi Jin rubbed his temples and rose up, "I am coming soon."

Shi Chonghuai watched him stepping inside, after Shi Jin finished the salute, he said, "Sit down and talk."

Shi Jin saw his father's expression was serious, "Father, what happened?"

"The assassination case of the Grand Princess has concluded. The mastermind behind it is Hui-wang. Hui-wang has been harbouring resentment towards His Majesty for years. He has secret spies infiltrating the Palace, hiding in wait for the right moment to seize the throne." Shi Chonghuai handed the information from Court of Judicature to Shi Jin, "Take a look."

T/N – (Refresher) Hui-wang was the prince who previous emperor failed to establish.

"Father, as they have been lying low for long, why did they suddenly decide to assassinate His Majesty?" Shi Jin skimmed through the document, somewhat puzzled. "This isn't the best time. Since Hui-wang has been waiting for a long time, why can't he wait longer?"

"Because he can't wait anymore." Shi Chonghuai smiled coldly. "Hui-wang is seriously ill, and he is close to the end. People who are about to die are more impetuous. The throne is his lifelong obsession, if he doesn't fight for it now, he would die in discontent."

"But..... if it fails, will His Majesty spare Hui-wang's family?" Shi Jin thought of the deceased Grand Princess, there was a strange feeling in his heart. Hui-wang's delusion has harmed his family and the Grand Princess.

The Grand Princess was not involved, how was she caught up in this matter?

"A man striving for greatness shouldn't be overly cautious and keeps looking back and forth like women." Shi Chonghuai snorted coldly. "Hui-wang has the courage, but no luck or power. In falling into this situation, he can only blame himself."

"But there was no movement at Hui-wang's establishment." Shi Jin frowned, "What exactly is His Majesty's plan?"

"You will know in a few days." Shi Chonghuai said indifferently, "From now on, don't get involved with anyone from Hui-wang's establishment."

"Yes." Shi Jin hesitated for a while before asking Shi Chonghuai, "Father, Xie family....."

"Pay no attention to them." Shi Chonghuai sneered disdainfully, "Having ruined the good cards in their hands to this extent, it's obvious they aren't any strong opponent."