41

After Yan Hui left, Ban Huai gave Rong Xia a stiff smile, "Many thanks Count Rong."

Ban Huai disliked brain exercise, but he wasn't that stupid not to see Rong Xia had deliberately came to free him from the ambush. He glanced around quickly and whispered to Rong Xia, "It's about my daughter."

He didn't get it at first, but as Yan Hui kept insisting on talking to him alone, he understood. But what was the point of talking to him, the decision wasn't in his hand.

He couldn't tell Rong Xia his family's private matter, so he just shook his head in a profound manner, trying to hint how precious his family's daughter was that even a proposal from the powerful Left Minister couldn't move him. Ban Huai felt himself was like a noble and upright figure in storybooks, humble and reserved, unbending in the face of worldly dirt.

T/N – The phrase the author uses is 'unbending for the sake of five pecks of rice'. See bottom for the origin story.

His wife was quick to tell him that Yan-furen was a difficult person, how if his daughter was disliked by such mother-in-law? If his daughter suffered, no matter how nonsensical a person he was, he still couldn't order people to beat up the mother-in-law. Even the Emperor wouldn't be able to help him if it became a big issue.

A married daughter depended on her new family. If she had a mother-in-law who was difficult to get along with, his daughter would suffer big time. The two words 'filial piety' could squeeze someone breathless. His own daughter-in-law, let's imagined as if he had one, he wouldn't have had the heart to oppress her, so why would he let his own daughter be oppressed by Yan family?

T/N – The phrase here is 嫁汉嫁汉,穿衣吃饭 (lit. marry someone, marry someone, wear clothing and eat food). See bottom.

Rong Xia could see Ban Huai's obvious relutance of this marriage, "Uncle, wanbei thinks after the Court, Uncle needs to make things clear with the Left Minister to prevent unnecessary misunderstanding."

* Wanbei 晚辈 = younger generation

"You are right," Ban Huai nodded, "I should make it clear early so their family would give up sooner."

You want to marry, doesn't mean we have to accept, stop dreaming.

Rong Xia laughed and returned to stand at his own place, greeting other officials in leisure, displaying his elegant and impeccable presence.

The Court started after the Emperor arrived, it looked to be commencing smoothly until an imperial censor brought up the case of Xie Chongjin's malfeasance. The smell of gunpowder among the officials rose again.

"Your Majesty, weichen thinks even though Xie-daren is alleged to be inadequate in his supervisory duty, but this offense is not that serious, please Your Majesty reconsider."

* Weichen 微臣 = This Humble Official.  * Daren 大人 = title of respect, similar to Sir in English.

This official was the Second Prince's man, he was speaking for Xie Chongjin in order to help the future Second Prince's wife, to strenghten the power of the Second Prince's wife's familly.

T/N – Refresher: the Second Prince Jiang Luo was supposed to marry Xie Wanyu.

"Your Majesty, if all officials of our Court are indifferent of their supervisory duties, then how will they be earnest to the common people?" An imperial censort spoke sharply, "If an official fails to do his responsibility to the people, he better just go home to stay with his parents."

This imperial censor's tone and language was quite unrestrained.

"Chen seconds the motion!"

"Your Majesty!"