39 - ᴛʜᴇ ᴜɴɪᴠᴇʀsᴇ ʜᴀᴛᴇs ᴍᴇ

。 ゚•┈୨♡୧┈• 。"Hey Diana," I heard Newt repeated again

。 ゚┈୨♡୧┈
"Hey Diana," I heard Newt repeated again.

"What?" I asked quickly slightly panicked but on high alert

"They're opening the carriage, thought you might-" he started before I hopped up and ran over "Oh okay," he followed. The carriage sat on the ground the door being ginger open by people with pliers.

Eventually, the door clicked and opened. Thomas went in first, then me, then the others. I looked through the carriage quickly trying to find Archer. "Aris," I breathed walking over to him and glancing at Sonya "You guys okay?" I asked them quickly

"Yeah we're fine," Sonya replied. I continued down the carriage searching for Archer and Minho. The closer I got to the end the worse my hope thinned. I flicked between peoples faces fast. Each one looked back at me with big hopeful eyes that mocked the opposite in my own.

I stopped at the end, turning round slowly. I didn't have anything to say but why? I shook my head slowly.

For once could something work out in our favour?

"He's not here," Thomas breathed. Newt joined us at the end looking between us with a solum face. The group went very very quiet while the others used the same pliers from earlier to snip the handcuffs. It felt as though I was deaf to all sounds around me, my body was frozen.

All that hope I had when we escaped on top of the carriage had drained. Any part of me with a sense of relief was gone. Because we hadn't escaped. We hadn't beaten WICKED at anything. They had beaten us like they had done again and again and over time the sense of loss was going to lace it's way into your body.

Maybe loss like this was normal? Loosing. I couldn't stand to loose anymore. For once in my life I had to win. I had to, wether it was to cause the death of me or not. I followed the group and the people we helped escape. Not saying a word to one another.

We headed outside. The sun glared down across the new place we had landed. Still run down and old but it had more things. Large structures that held the place together.

"Come on in, guys!" Vince shouted form the front of the crowd. I stood away from the group next to Newt behind a small rubble wall. "All right listen up! I know you've all been through hell," Been? I repeated to myself. I'm still here. "I wish I could say our troubles are over. But we're not through this yet. WICKED's still out there. They're not giving up. Cause you got something they want. They took you because your immune to a plague that's wiping out the human race. And they think your worth sacrificing to find a cure. Well I don't. So in two days... when we get this tub of rust seaworthy..." he motioned to the old large ship behind him which surprised me on how it was still floating "were getting the bell outta here. We're going to a place where WICKED will never find you. A place you can start over. A place you can call home..." his voice faded as I walked away not wanting to hear anymore.

Newt was quick to my side following my step but still neither of us had a word to stay to each other. I thought for a second before I decided to speak.

"Do you think you actually like me?" I asked

"Huh? What? I literally- of course," he replied quickly "Why would you ask that?"

"I don't know I was just thinking. What if because we were in the maze together and we've been through a lot together. Maybe we're just trauma bonding on some crazy level,"

"Diana, and you know I don't say this. But that is ridiculous. I literally go to sleep every night thinking of you, that can't just be a trauma bond,"

"Gross," I laughed pushing his slightly to the side "Me too," I mumbled loud enough for him to hear. We headed into a small little brick house and met Sonya, Harriet, Aris and Thomas.

"Took you guys long enough to rescue us," Aris laughed slightly

"It's good to see you, too bud," Thomas replied giving us a nod as we came in. Newt went a day on a box and I sat on the floor leaning against the box, my head resting onto his knee. I glanced up at Aris to see cuts and bruises all over his face.

"What happened?" I asked

"I fought back. Try to, anyways," he explained

"Your lucky you found us at all," Sonya added "They had us on the move a lot. It felt like something big was happening,"

"Any idea where they were heading?" Newt asked Sonya

"All I know is they kept talking about a city," Sonya replied

"I didn't think there were any cities left?" Harriet leant forward into the conversation

"That's because there aren't," Brenda answered "Not still standing, anyway,"

"Okay, wait. What about Minho and Archer?" Thomas asked "Why weren't they on the train?" Sonya and Aris looked at each other briefly. She had a look in her eyes, the same look that Newt gave me the first time I arrived in the maze. A look of uncertainty. A look I've never seen anyone else do beside Sonya and Newt.

"I'm sorry," Aris whispered "He was,"
。 ゚┈୨♡୧┈