chapter 64: the ball

The next days Arnold refused to leave zazi's side.

He spent the whole time taking care of her. He drew his designs for Master Preminger there. He was just there with his children.

This situation had set jennie back, when she saw someone hurt her sister and her mother being the only one to defend her, she started being clingy again.

She didn't even want Isabella when she came to visit. She just wanted her mother. And this was also lily. Lily didn't want anyone too.

But she still loved her father, they both did. When Nicholas  paid them a surprise visit, the girls were still willing to be his friend. Interesting.
I guess Nicholas was the only good person in the whole world.

The ball was coming and zazi had to go with her daughter for shopping for new clothes. And this time Arnold wanted to go too. Saying he wanted to help them chose. But zazi knew it was because he didn't want to leave her alone.

Sebastian.

Zazi didn't want to ever go back to that house again.

But because of supporting her husband, she had to.
She just was going to avoid the cranes until it was time to go home.

She wished she didn't have to take the girls though. But Arnold promised they would leave early.

They found a shop that sold the latest gowns and zazi was amazed by how beautiful they were.

The girls wanted to match. They got pretty dresses and shoes. Then some ribbons for their hair that matched.

Arnold chose the most expensive gown for zazi. The gown was elegant but it wasn't to zazi's taste and she felt quite uncomfortable with it. But she said nothing.

When the ball was just hours away, people came to their room to get zazi ready, do her hair and make up. They did also want to style the girls' hair but they immediately said no to stranger's touch.

The carriage was waiting for them outside. This few days, zazi hadn't seen Sebastian and was happy about that.

It was around four o'clock in the evening.

They found alot of carriages at the compound at the house seemed to be packed with rich guests.

The living room had been completely rearranged.

It was a huge living room. It was set in a way it looked like a ball room.

Zazi held on to her daughters' hands as they made their way in. Their was other children there but the girls didn't really want to go anywhere.

"Sister in law."

"Hello Nicholas." She greeted him warmly.

"Hello uncle." "Uncle hello." The girls greeted him warmly.

"Hello girls" he greeted them back.

"I have some toys in my room. Why don't we go play? Though they are more of boys, like trains and cars..."

"Yeeey!!"  They didn't care, they wanted to play.

"Are you sure you want to miss the ball?"

"This is not my environment. So i really won't be missing anything. Its more like an excuse to leave."

Zazi just laughed as he went with the girls upstairs.

Arnold was talking with some important guests while zazi was looking around.

Just then, a man walked up to her.

"Hello zazi..."

"Hello to you.... I'm sorry, do i know you?"
"I'm Antonio Mills. I have been a constant customer at your restaurant. Linnie...."
"Oh my goodness. You are the one who always come for breakfast everyday. And order...
"Two eggs and coffee." "Two eggs and coffee."