chapter 32: He's my friend

"I took zazi out of the pit!" Anna said looking directly at him
"She was there for 3 nights. Whatever she did she has been punished enough."

Thank god her back was healing, she had strong skin.
"You couldn't have gotten her out by yourself. Someone helped you.
"That's false."
"Tell me who and i will leave her alone. I promise."
"I don't believe you."
"You have my word. If you don't I'll put her back."
"Okay. Its a slave. Named ondi. He, binti and zazi are my friends."

"Okay. I'll leave her alone."

"Okay. I'll hold you by your word."

Brenda just looked at them uncomfortable.
"Wow,  why are you guys so formal? I don't like this. You guys used to be so close. This isn't you... Whatever it is, you can work it out. Anna?"anna just walked out.

She sat on her bed in deep thought. She didn't want to mend things with her father. He kept hurting zazi over and over.

And she was sure he was behind Sebastian suddenly leaving in the morning, right before anna woke up. She just found out he left after he left.

He loved zazi, he wouldn't have left Zazi. This didn't make sense. But Jacob said sebastian was going to get married in England.

That couldn't be true. He wouldn't marry Katrina. Her brother wasn't the type to use people.

As she was debating, she heard whiplashes. At first she ignored it then she ran quickly outside. Her father might have gone against his word and was beating zazi.

But then scene she saw made her freeze. Ondi was tied up. Jacob was whipping him hard like his life depended on it

He had a  rope on his neck like after that he would hang him. Anna ran forward screaming no, but she was caught and held tight by luke.
"Calm down miss Anna!"

She kept calling for her dad to stop.
While her dad was angrily talking to ondi.

"Who gave tou the right to release my slave? I will kill you!"

Anna looked at him crying. Trying to wiggling herself out of luke's grip. He was killing him.

Ondi looked like he was going to faint. She then knocked Luke on the balls and when he bent down to the pain, she slipped and she ran forward.

She fell infront of Jacob as tears ran down her face and begged for his life.

"Please father please! Spare him. I beg you! He's my friend!"
Jacob froze. Her daughter was on her knees crying for a slave.
The look on her dace and her voice made his heart soften.

"Release him!" Anna then ran and removed the rope from his neck. He then carried helped him as he helped him walk away from there.

She knew he lived alone so she decided to take him to zazi. She then left him with zazi and went home to get some alcohol and heroin which helped as a painkiller.

Zazi made some herbs just as her mother taught her. Just then anna arrived with the items and some clothes for ondi to change to. She said they were new. But zazi could smell Sebastian on them. She poured alcohol on the wound

Zazi then applied herbs on his back as tears rolled down her face. He was hurt because of her. She will take care of him until he was better.

Zazi also notices ondi warming up to anna as she spend all her time taking care of him until sunset. This made zazi happy.

Zazi didn't go back to work, she didn't want to.

They would have to drag her there. She didn't want to be anywhere that reminded him of Sebastian. She acted strong infront of everyone but cried silently in her bed. She still hoped she was wrong. Hoped he would come back and it wouldn't take 10 years this time. But slowly by slowly she was losing hope.