chapter 40: all alone

Soon Anna got the bad news from ondi. She expected him to give her the cold shoulder and blame her for this. But he walked up to her and hugged her.

Letting her cry on his chest.

He too just wanted to cry. He wanted to let it all out too. He couldn't believe it.

He had gone back to at day time to search but found nothing.

Zazi must have really fallen in that hole and died. And that hole was impossible to get in.  His crew was right.

Brenda didn't take it very well too. So her husband ended up winning and got to her.
And she kept her word. She was indifferent to him that day and decided that would be a norm.

She was so excited about her grandbaby and her husband, that monster, just stole it all away because it was black.

A burial was held, well mostly for zazi because the village didn't acknowledge lily..

The village mourned for her and sympathized with mumbi.

This was a burial done without a body, so it was just you using your imagination to fill you up to cry and scream your heart out. Mumbi's heart was shattered.

She was beyond hurt. She had lost her will to leave. Her drive. She was a woman without a husband and a child.

She was childless.

And she blamed this all on her people. They should have protected them. Lily had zazi's side to her, she was a part of the village, just like her grandfather ngesa was and her grandmother  was. Why should she be shunned?

They pushed her daughter to this path. It was because of them that she ran away.

And now look. What was mumbi even living for now. If lily survived she would at least raise her grandbaby, but she died too.

And the village had the audacity to suggest her to marry again. Be a second wife to one of her late husband's relatives.

That way she can have children who would carry his name and she then not remain childless.

She just left to her home and didn't talk to anyone.

She was the one who was going to work and serve the Lockwoods like nothing happened? Cook for them?

Work as hard for them?  Pretend everything was okay with them?

Well, mostly for jacob?

When he killed every member of her family?

Her parents, her husband, her daughter, her granddaughter. Now she was all alone.

Because a man decided to play god and took everyone she loved away from her.

She hated him. She hated him for doing this to her, to her daughter. For making the first days of her  granddaughter so hard and ugly.

That man was a walking evil. He was the worst of the worst.

And she was just praying he would kill her too so she can join her family. She would do it herself but then that would make her get punished for eternity for commiting suicide and her spirit be in a miserable place.

And she well knew that was not where her family was.

Her daughter must be with her father right now in the clouds watching over her.

Binti also didn't take this well.

Her best friend was gone. She left without forgiving her for her crimes. She should have gone to her when she  had initially wanted to. When she had a chance.

She learned about Jacob's manhunt. She confronted him only for him to take out all his anger on her. He tossed her around like a raggedy doll and took her roughly ignoring her protests until he was satisfied.

Binti went to her mother, who when she saw her, immediately knew what happened and made the herbs.