Chapter 42

Hours later...

My eyes were still closed, but I knew a light was trying to penetrate my eyelids so I could wake up. I flashed my eyes open, seeing Aubrey, Eric, Erica, my mom, the Zeleskis, the Summers, John, Haley, Brandon, and even Ms. Morse. A nurse stood in front of me, closing the white light that woke me up seconds ago. I looked around for a few seconds and breathed out a sigh, not saying a word to them. Killing myself failed. But why? How?

“Oh my god, Heather.” My mom exclaimed, approaching me with her arms wide.

The nurse quickly stood in front of her, making her immune to me. I looked around weakly, closing my eyes, so angry with myself.

“She doesn’t need to be touched, at least not until she gets her arm treated with antibiotic ointment for the third degree burn around her left wrist.” She informed cautiously.

I breathed out another sigh, realizing that I was in yet another hospital bed. How many times do I have to be in these stupid rooms? I wouldn’t be in here right now if I would’ve just died already. My god. My mom stared at me for a few seconds, and glanced at the nurse.

“What were you thinking?!” She suddenly yelled. John breathed out a sigh, knowing that she was ready to attack me verbally. “Attempting suicide? Why, you’re very lucky your friends are in here so I wouldn’t have to embarrass you.” My mom added, narrowing her eyes at me.

“I don’t get it, Heather,” Erica suddenly added in, “Why of all days? If you planned on killing yourself, why on your birthday?” She asked.

“That would’ve been depressing if you really did die.” Mr. Summers added. I ignored Brandon who gazed at me intently, his eyes were begging for some reason. I glanced at everyone else, not saying a word.

“You’re lucky the firemen got to the shack on time,” Ms. Morse started up. It was weird seeing her outside of school, it really was.

“You were on the news for the past two hours,” Mr. Zeleski confirmed, “They said what you did was really unnecessary.”

I sighed again, so embarrassed.

“So why did you do it?” Brandon suddenly snapped. Everyone turned to him, surprised by his random outburst of confusion and anger.

“I…” My voice trailed off, ignoring the pain in my wrist, “I couldn’t do it anymore. I thought if I died, it would end the bad luck I’ve been giving everyone. I thought I didn’t deserve to live.” I thought out weakly, trying hard to speak.

“And that’s where you’re wrong,” Ms. Morse randomly claimed.

“Why would you try and take your life away? It’s bad enough I lost your dad, and Haley would’ve been upset…” My mom’s voice trailed off, and I stared at her for the longest time. I felt so bad for her.

“You see Heather; taking away your life wouldn’t solve anything. Not even your own problems. You would’ve just made everyone grieve even worse. And taking your life away isn’t fair to all of these people, the ones who care for you and truly love you.” Ms. Morse informed, her brown hair gleaming and lusting in the room due to the hospital lights.

I gazed at her and sighed, running my fingers through my hair. I couldn’t move completely, though. Just as the room was filled with silence, I heard a very worried voice.

“Oh my god. Is she in here?” I heard someone ask from the outside of the room, “Okay, thank you!” The person yelled, stumbling into my room suddenly. It was Lola, and she had a very worried look.

I stared at her with broad eyes.

“Babe, don’t you ever scare me like that again!” She yelled with tears in her eyes, approaching me and getting on her knees for my face to be at level with hers. I couldn’t believe it. Even Lola came?