Chapter 33

Surprisingly, the week was going by really fast. It was Friday, and the fact that Kresten is somewhere in jail bothered me. I’m surprised Lola hasn’t gotten the news, but his friends probably didn’t want her to know. They’d take Michael’s side much rather than Kresten. He’s the innocent rebel, that’s why. Speaking of Michael, I wondered where he was. He’s probably back to being in public, knowing that someone else other than him was the one accused and arrested. Kresten and Michael are best friends, and that’s the sad part.

I trudged to my locker with yet another sigh, finally remembering to bring air freshener. My mom would be picking me up this afternoon to take me to the doctor, to get the mifepristone and misoprostol medication. I placed everything in my locker and closed it, walking off to lunch.

As soon as I got there, I felt like everyone was watching me, and it felt like that. I sat down awkwardly, seeing everyone eye me. I started laughing to hide my mood, “Guys, I swear you’ve been doing this to me this whole week. What’s the matter?” I squeezed ketchup onto my fries, throwing one into my mouth to keep myself occupied.

“Is your head okay?” Aubrey asked out of curiosity.

“Yes,” I answered tersely, “For the millionth time.”

They all gazed at me, and it’s like they were nervous for me. Brandon appeared with Eric, and they both sat down as well. I cleared my throat. “Your eyes are kind of red.” Erica pointed out, pointing to her eyes as an example. I stared at her for a few seconds.

“Oh, um, I took some headache medicine earlier and I guess red eyes are one of the symptoms.” I lied aloud, knowing the real reason. It was one of the signs of pregnancy.

But I took it more calmly this time; I already know the plans on how I was going to end this. I’m going to simply take the abort medication and be done with it, and I won’t ever have to worry about it anymore. It’ll be like it never happened. Though it’s a shame the own father doesn’t know, I thought aloud in my head, shifting my sight to Brandon, who was laughing about something that Jana, another girl at our table had said. Maybe he would’ve paid me more attention if I told him. I shook my head at the idiocy of my thoughts, they’re so…stupid. I’m happy that this is just a secret between me and my mom, John, and Haley. I’m glad no one at school knows that I am. I’d just get harassed more and it would make my life worse, plus my chances of seeing the school shrink would be greater.

I sighed to myself again, eyeing Brandon. His attractive world-stopping smile, just…there. His green eyes, lusted black hair.

Oh, the joy. Brooke is so lucky. And to think…we almost had something special. I continued studying him while he was talking with other friends, and I was soon enough interrupted by Aubrey.

“Hey, earth to Heather?” I heard her ask, snapping her fingers in my face. I came back to reality at the last minute, shaking my head.

“Huh?” I questioned, quickly glancing at Brandon and back at her.

“You coming to my house party or what?” She asked with a small smile. A house party? Wow, I haven’t been asked to a house party before. Everyone gazed at me, waiting for an answer.

“When is it?” I asked, wrinkling my eyebrows.

“This Saturday. Tomorrow, I’ve been talking about it to you this whole week!” She went on.

I shook my head again, smiling afterwards. Oh, yeah. I guess there’s a lot going on in my mind right now that I can’t bother to remember the least interesting stuff, though a house party sounds fair. I nodded, and she squealed, giving me a hug. I cleared my throat awkwardly again.