Chapter 26

My eyes had gone broad from the moment he said that. Where was he planning on taking me? Where? My back stiffened, alarmed, “Haha, very funny, Mike. Joke’s over. You can take me home now.” I allowed, looking at him with dead eyes. He continued driving straight ahead, not making a U-turn. He seemed so serious about it that he started to go even faster to show me that this wasn’t meant to be a joke. “Michael, take me home!” I shouted.

“What home? Hah, Babe, you don’t have a home. You’re a nomad now.” He confirmed, making a turn on some street.

I cocked an eyebrow, “What?”

His smirk had deepened as his dark eyes started to get even sharper, sparkling every time the sunlight had hit them, revealing its luster. He had then started speaking up again, “Nomad. Someone who-”

“I know what it means. Just take me back to Brandon’s place. I have school in the morning and you promised my mom that you would take me home safely.” I reminded, my lips in a prim line.

“You actually thought I was serious? You should know me now.” He said. I gave him a look, not wanting to be played around with. I had then tried to take the steering wheel so we could turn back around. I may be fifteen, and I may not know how to drive, but I was so concerned on what he was planning on, that I didn’t care about our safety. Michael shoved my arm from it just before I could reach it. “Chill.” He demanded, glancing at me and back at the road. I took a deep breath. The more we rode, I swear it seemed like we were riding for years.

We seemed like we were young teens in love, running away from the city of which the people there had never understood us, or met our expectations. I was getting so tired, and we’ve only been riding for like, forty minutes. Just as I stared out the window, giving up a few minutes ago with trying to go back home, because I knew we were now too far off to even go back, I sat in silence, and then an idea had occurred to me.

I took out my cell phone, dialing Brandon’s number.

Maybe he could secretly meet me here. I could hit Michael in the head and he would be knocked out, while Brandon comes and save me and we ditch the guy. But just as I dialed the numbers, the little bars by the corner of the screen were gone. “No signal around here, Heather.” Michael suddenly informed, continuing to drive. He made it obvious that he was bothered by my attempts of trying to get someone to come and find us.

I sighed as a response. “Well maybe if you’d just tell me where you’re taking me, I wouldn’t be all paranoid, you know?” I asked quickly, my voice getting high by milliseconds. He didn’t reply, he just slowed down a bit, and stopped at a particular house. I observed it, and sighed. “What are we doing at Vincent’s house?” I had then recognized it. Of course! Vincent’s house is the only house that we know of that is in the rural area of Seattle.

Michael turned off the van as a response. He sat casually, looking me in the eyes. I looked directly at him as well, and sighed loudly, “What are we doing at Vincent’s house?!” I demanded of him.

“Can you calm down? It’s a party.” He confirmed, getting out of the van. I wrinkled my eyebrows, turning back to the house to see a bunch of cars; I really hadn’t noticed them before. Just as I was thinking about it, Michael was already cutting through the yard, his hands in his pockets. I quickly snatched off my seat belt and ran out, following him.

“Wait, Michael, I can’t be here.” I demanded nervously.

“Why not?” He stopped in place, giving me a glare. I bit my lip, hesitant about saying anything else. He raised an eyebrow impatiently.

“There are cigarettes here, and drinks.” I admitted, and he sighed. “Please don’t make me go in there. I’m—I’m doing so well for myself, I can’t screw myself over again.” I assured. “I’m—I’m trying to stay clean.” I reminded, referring to Lola’s speech on telling me to stay clean for her. And I wasn’t doing it just for her; I was doing it for myself, for my dad, for my mom and little sister.

The Blink of an Eyeजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें