Chapter 38

I covered my mouth, wiping my previous tears from my eyes. I couldn’t believe it; I couldn’t believe this at all! “Wh-what…how did you…?” I couldn’t even finish my sentence; I was too in shock to say anything.

“Michael turned himself in just yesterday,” He suddenly said with an apologetic smile.

But why did he have to feel apologetic? He didn’t do anything! That’s the thing, he’s completely innocent. I quickly wrapped my arms around Kresten, and although the last time we talked before he was arrested was when he admitted his interest for me, I was still in need of a hug from him.

“I see you’re back in your house again.” He suddenly said. I smiled at this.

“Lola is pissed at me,” I murmured randomly.

He finally let go of me, flipping his hair, “Is it because you lied?”

As embarrassing and as guilty as I felt and was, I nodded at this. He studied me for a long time and suddenly smiled.

“I forgive you, Heather.” I looked up at him, my heart beamed. After lying on him, and him spending a lot of time in jail for no apparent reason, he was still willing to forgive me? For all that I’ve done? I just couldn’t believe that Kresten was this accepting and how he was quick to forgive me.

“Thank you.” I wrapped my arms around him once more, and I pulled off of him, taking a few steps back, examining him. “Look at you!” I exclaimed with a chuckle in between my words, “You haven’t changed a bit.”

He cocked an eyebrow, “It was only for a little while. Is this a good thing or a bad thing?”

I smiled, “A good thing, of course. I’m just…I’m really glad you’re the one not in jail anymore.” I hugged him for the third time, but I didn’t care.

“It was tough, but I could handle it.” He said with a shrug.

I cocked an eyebrow at him, “So…is Michael in jail at this very moment?”

My smile had died down as soon as I asked this. Kresten squinted his eyes, kind of wincing. He was in the process of a thought; he cupped the back of his neck with his hand as he continued to think.

“As soon as he turned himself in, they knew his exact punishment.” He started back up, glaring at me first. But it was a soft glare. He looked away and turned to one of the tattoos on his arm.

“What’s his punishment…?” I asked softly.

He shrugged, “I don’t know. I just remember my parents picking me up from the place and that was it.” I chewed on my lip hesitantly, and then I met eyes with Kresten again.

“If you know anything, could you let me know, Krest?” He nodded his head stiffly.

I smiled again at him, remembering the real reason he was here. I suddenly punched him in the shoulder, “It’s great to have you back.”

He smiled, “It’s good to be back.”

I glanced at the wall clock that continued ticking, and I glanced back at him, “Would you like to come in? We should catch up.” As soon as I did this, a small grin had snuck up on his face, his green eyes looked lusted. I waited for him to answer me with open ears, slowly biting my lip furiously, I was that excited about him being out of jail. He darted his eyes around my house, examining it.

“Hmm, I’ve got a better idea.” He slowly began to smile.

***

I found myself walking on the open grassland with Kresten, in the rural part of Seattle. This is the place we used to go to, to take our mind off of things. After we took a bus here, I just couldn’t keep my eyes off of the gorgeous scenery.