Chapter 41

*A week and a half later* Month: June.

I stood in by a crowd of people that were both past friends of Kresten’s or family members, along with me and my mom, John, and Haley. Lola and Shaun were also here, or at least I heard that they were, I haven’t seen Lola in forever, so I was anxious to see her. Vincent and Brett were here for a little while and then bailed out. They were invited for support and because they too have felt bad. In a couple of days, I turn sixteen finally, and it’s horrible because this was such a terrible time to have a birthday.

After the pastor gave a speech on Kresten, his parents started talking soon enough. I was up next after them, I was a little nervous, but I had a few words on Kresten. I at least owe him that for everything he’s given me. Lola was offered to deliver a speech, but she rejected and I didn’t know why, I mean…she’s had a past with Kresten.

It kind of bothered me that she didn’t want to say at least a few words for him.

“My son was an outcast of Northern High School. He’s made some terrible decisions of who to hang around with and what to do with them,” Mr. Summers’s voice boomed and echoed through the microphone.

We were standing outside, by a cemetery.

I was kind of upset that Brandon didn’t come, but it was his choice. So whatever. I would have wanted Kresten to be buried by the lake at the rural part of Seattle since he loved it there so much; but then I realized that it didn’t make sense because that was also the place where he died. I sighed to myself as I cupped the back of my neck, feeling that it was almost my turn to speak. I glanced at the note card at my hand as soon as everyone started clapping when Mr. and Mrs. Summers went down the outside stage. It was my turn now.

I glanced around nervously and my mom patted me on the back for encouragement. My face felt hot, heck, it was hot outside itself. I’m not sure if I want to do this anymore.

“Mom, I’m scared,” I muttered out with wide eyes, realizing how many people were here. Not to mention my ex best friend was here too, with her college boyfriend. “I’m…I’m too scared.” I stammered, my eyes growing capacious.

“Do you want me to go upstage with you?” She whispered, glancing around.

I did the same, seeing Mr. and Mrs. Summers clap like everyone else, waiting for me to bust a move. I can’t be nervous. I have to do this, and if I embarrass myself, at least I had the decency to go up there and put up an effort.

A serious side of me had shunned over.

“No.” I finally replied, going up there. Every quieted down once I got up there.

I chewed on my lip as it went officially silent. I glanced around the crowd and I noticed Lola in a dark blue dress, her hair in waves. Her hair…it was mostly black now, with only tiny red streaks. It looked amazing on her. Her green eyes shimmered from the sunlight as she gazed at me with a blunt face expression, and Shaun stood close by her side. I couldn’t believe she was actually here. I couldn’t believe I was less than a few feet from her.

I swallowed and stared down at my note card, which had my speech about Kresten on it. I gazed at it, studying it for a while, until I laid it on the stage floor.

“I can’t do this,” I suddenly said through the mike, looking back up at everyone. “I’m going to do something a little di-different,” I stammered, gazing at everyone. “I’m going to speak from my heart, not from a piece of cardboard. I think I at least owe Kresten that.” I lowered my head, breathing out a sigh.

A couple of smiles were sent at me, and I responded by smiling back.

“Umm….” I looked down at the stage floor for a few seconds and looked up. “Kresten…Kresten was many things.” I muttered through the mike, trying hard not to cry right then and there. I swallowed and fought back my emotional side that usually linked to my tears. “Despite the fact that he wasn’t a school kind of person, he was still romantic…um, one of his girlfriends are here.” I looked directly at Lola who lowered her head a little, not making eye contact with me.