Chapter 40

My heart felt like it splattered in my body, my brain went blank. I went blank.

"No….” My voice trailed off, astonished.

The wind started to blow, and my face was getting cold due to the winds pressing against the tears on my face. My hair danced behind my back and into the air. Just as I sat on my knees and shock, I heard audible police sirens from a distance. The police, they were on their way.

“No!” I finally screamed, ducking my head in the cliff. “Kresten! Get out of there now! This had better not be another joke! You pull yourself out right now!!!!!" I screamed, punching the dirt with anger.

The sirens started to get closer. I ignored the fact that my legs were bleeding and scraped due to Kresten’s wait dragging me to the edge of the cliff from trying to pull him out.

“Kresten!” Tears streamed down my cheeks even more.

Just when I heard shouting and footsteps approach me, I noticed the cops and an ambulance truck, they probably suspected that someone would be hurt. But three are dead! They brush pass every vine and branch, and they got to me.

"Are you hurt in any way?” One of the cops asked, his gun positioned for attack.

“My friend! He fell down there! Somebody save him!” I begged, my throat sore due to my audible and painful screams.

“Calm down, miss. We need to get you to the hospital.” Another cop said, glancing at my legs.

I wiped my eyes, “No, I’m fine! Somebody, please…I’m begging you! He…he fell into the cliff and…” My voice trailed off as all of the cops gave me a sorry gaze. A sympathetic gaze. “No…” I whispered to myself.

One of the cops had begun to speak up again, “Your friend may not be-”

“NO!” I shouted, stroking my hair.

The cop sighed, “Someone, get her to the ambulance truck.”

I sat back down on the ground. “I’m not leaving anywhere until you go and get Kresten!” I shouted at the top of my lungs. Some of the cops covered their ears, wincing at me.

“We’ll do everything and anything to see if we can find…um, Kresten?” Another cop asked, unsure.

I nodded. “Kresten Summers! He fell down along with the guys who tried to kill me! He has green eyes, dark brown hair. Promise me you’ll find him! And you won’t quit looking until you do!” I demanded, my eyes working up another set of tears. The cop nodded, and he ordered for another cop to guide me to the ambulance truck.

*****

I sat on the bed in my room of the hospital. I’m not sure why I got a room, I mean; my legs aren’t even that bad. Are they? There were wrapped in this thick white tissue things, they were like, extra absorbing bandages. I sighed as looked up into the light, closing my eyes. I prayed for Kresten to not be dead, and that he just hurt himself when he fell. I don’t even know how deep the cliff was! If Elaine and James hadn’t gotten back out of it, then there’s a chance that Kresten may not….no. I refuse to think pessimistic! I believe in Kresten! I believe in him. My heart ached more when I replayed that part where he was slowly slipping out of my hands, and when he said that he would miss me. Just as I replayed it again in pain, I was unexpectedly interrupted by a nurse.

“Your mom is here, Heather.” She guided my mom inside, and that look on her face, it made me feel guilty for not being careful. “I’ll leave you two alone.” The nurse offered, walking out.

I sat in silence, chewing on my lip. My mom stared me dead in the eyes for a few seconds, and I could see that she was clenching on her purse strap tighter and tighter, like she was angry.