Chapter 24

Hello! So, I decided to skip book 2 right now but I'll probably add it in the future once they're done with book 4. You know, so that they can cheer up a bit after the dark happenings :)

"Are they done yet?" Mu Qing asked with a small yawn, bored out of his mind.

Xie Lian and Qi Rong were gone for five hours; on the first hour, everyone ate with their hearts' content, talking about what the two were doing. On the second and third hour, they chatted with each other, some sparring and the likes. But on the fourth hour, they were finally bored and wanted to spy on the two but a simple glare from Hua Cheng shut down all attempts. Now, within the fifth hour, everyone just wanted to continue watching as they were bored out of their minds. In fact, some were already sleeping on the floor, too tired and bored to go back to their rooms. 

"Just wait a few more minutes." Hua Cheng, the only one not bored, said as he casually drank some tea. 

"How can you have such long patience?" Ban Yue asked him.

"Let's just say I'm used to waiting." Hua Cheng smiled, confusing many.

Finally, after what seemed like hours, Xie Lian returned with a calm smile but Qi Rong was not in sight.

"Um, your highness, where's the green ghost?" Pei Su asked as Xie Lian's smile grew larger.

"You'll see him again." he assured, causing many to shiver in fear. 

"W-when?" Feng Xin stuttered a little.

"When you ask...hmm...who knows?" Xie Lian shrugged carefreely. "Now, let's continue watching."

"Alright." everyone immediately agreed, waking the sleeping officials up as they all returned to their seats. 

"Thank you for your help, San Lang." Xie Lian told Hua Cheng once he was seated. "The item you gave me helped me a lot with dealing with Qi Rong."

"Glad to be of assistance." he simply replied with a pleased smile.   

Ch.89: The Mid-Autumn Festival; Battling Lanterns on Moon Watch Eve

CLANG.

Sparks flew.
The blade penetrated deep into the stone floor, and Xie Lian, both his hands gripping the sword, bowed his head and rested his forehead on the hilt, his teeth gritted so hard they might grind to powder in his mouth.

Even Xie Lian frowned at this, regret flowing through his heart.

"Should have at least injured him a little more." he said ruefully. 

"Your highness... what happened to you." Feng Xin murmured with a shocked look.

"Obviously because of the influence of the crimson rain." Mu Qing rolled his eyes.

"He's become more bloodthirsty." Jun Wu stated, no one knowing if he was sad or pleased by the dull voice of his.

"USELESS TRASH!" Qi Rong laughed out loud. "WHAT USELESS TRASH! I knew you wouldn't dare to kill me! No matter how much I ridicule you, no matter how I drag you through the mud, as long as I have a knife on someone else's throat, you can't do anything to me. You useless coward, for what do you need to live for, a god like you?"

Everyone turned to look at Xie Lian and Hua Cheng, expecting anger but to their surprise, only Hua Cheng looked annoyed. Xie Lian just smiled, laughing a little as he remembered what he did to his dear cousin. 

Sometimes, it isn't a great idea to mock someone's parents, especially if the child is as loyal as Xie Lian.

However, Xie Lian had already completely calmed down. He looked up, his eyes cold.