Chapter 10

Chapter 40

Maybe it was just a figment of his imagination, but Hua Cheng's shoulder seemed to freeze for a moment.

"It wasn't." Wu Du said, immediately noting the small flinch of the ghost king. 

"Ah." Xie Lian said, unsure of what to feel about that confirmation.

The moment did not last long, and Hua Cheng casually replied, "I did say that when we meet at the next meeting I will greet you with my true appearance."

"Of course he would keep even that promise." He Xuan scoffed, silently glad that he had an...acquaintance who would always keep his promise. It was enlightening to know, considering that he has lived all his life as a lie. 

H̶e̶ d̶i̶d̶n̶'t̶ m̶i̶n̶d̶ t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶, i̶f̶ i̶t̶ w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ s̶a̶v̶e̶ Q̶i̶n̶g̶ X̶u̶a̶n̶ f̶r̶o̶m̶ a̶ l̶i̶f̶e̶ o̶f̶ h̶e̶l̶l̶.

Xie Lian grinned. He tapped the young man's shoulder and said solemnly, "Not bad."

"What do you mean not bad!" Feng Xin shouted. "Your highness, you didn't f-f-fa-fall in lov-lo-love with that.... him, right!" 

"Relax, Feng Xin, I was just complimenting San Lang." Xie Lian said with a wry smile.

"That's how it all starts." Pei Ming whispered with a sly smile, irking a couple of people.

Xie Lian's tone of voice also sounds so relaxed, nothing more, nothing less, and very simple. Hua Cheng smiled back at him, and this time he seemed more relaxed.

Hua Cheng smiled, knowing that no one except him knows the depth of happiness he, well his future self felt when his crush admitted to liking his real appearance.

They took a few more steps and Xie Lian suddenly remembered something important to be confirmed with Hua Cheng, and he then removed the necklace made of silver chains around his neck.

"By the way," said Xie Lian, "Have you left this?"

Hua Cheng glanced at the ring and smiled, "That ring is for you."

"What is that?" Xie Lian asked.

"That is not important." Hua Cheng replied, "Keep it for fun."

'Keep it for fun, that's your fucking ashes!' He Xuan thought in his heart, internally sighing at how happy-go-lucky Hua Cheng was in regards to his ashes. Then again, he could understand, no matter how little, why the man in red did that - after all, if his family was still alive, he would have done the same. Really, it did sound nice to perish with your loved one.

Even though that's what he said, but Xie Lian knew that this object was not something so trivial. "Then thank you, San Lang."

"You should have just thrown it away." Mu Qing mumbled with an annoyed glare at the necklace shown on the screen. 

Seeing that Xie Lian put the ring necklace around his neck again, Hua Cheng's eyes seemed to be filled with such bright sparkles.

'Of course it is.' He Xuan thought with an inward scoff. 'His ashes are being treasured by his loved one. Who wouldn't be happy?'

Xie Lian looked around and said, "Earlier when at the Gambling House you had said that you would come here, to the Heaven Manor and I thought that place was like a brothel or a red light district, but apparently this place looks more like a theater?"

"...I mean, the name does sound like one." admitted Pei Ming as Xie Lian only sheepishly smiled at Hua Cheng who looked more amused then angry.

"Should I change the name?" Hua Cheng asked.