Chapter 4

Chapter 35.2 : Entering Ghost City, Crown Prince meets Ghost King

Dance of the Devil

At her question, the rest of the deathly pale women in front of them turned to look. Puzzled, they shuffled back and surrounded Xie Lian and Shi Qing Xuan. "When did they start following us? These two were not with us when we left the graveyard."

"Oh no." Pei Su murmured in worry. "Will you two be caught that quickly?"

"Don't worry, general Hua will think of a way." Ban Yue assured which immediately eased Pei Su's nerves as Xie Lian sweat drop.

'Ban Yue... why do you have such faith in me?' Xie Lian wondered with a disheartened expression. 'I failed you.' 

"Which graves do you live in? Why have we never seen you before?"

Xie Lian gave a light cough. "We...... came from another grave site further away. Of course you've never seen us before."

Shi Qing Xuan chimed in with a smile, "That's right, we came from far, far away just to visit the Ghost City."

"...I don't know if you two are good at lying or horrible at it." Wu Du said after a few moments of silence. 

"Choose the former." Pei Ming advised. "It's better to keep your sanity and hope for the best instead of worrying over everything."

The group of women in white stared at them silently with stony expressions. If it had been anyone else standing in their place, their knees would have probably started shaking from being scrutinized so intensely. Xie Lian wasn't worried about his identity being exposed, as these weak and feeble ghosts would not pose a threat to them. Merely, the Ghost City was just right in front of them, so near yet so far. If they were really unfortunate enough to have to engage in a scuffle here, they may end up alerting the enemy.

"I'd never kick you out of the city, gege." Hua Cheng said.

"What about me!" Qing Xuan said. "I'm with his highness!"

Hua Cheng didn't reply and only smiled, causing Qing Xuan to pout and He Xuan to sigh in sync with Wu Du, much to the former's disgust.

One of the women who had been staring at Shi Qing Xuan narrowed her eyes.

"Little sister, your face is remarkably well preserved."

Xie Lian and Shi Qing Xuan froze in surprise.

"Uh-oh." Yin Yu said with a slight pitying tone. "The ladies in the city can be quite...extreme when it comes to looks."

"Who are you?" Yizhen asked, having a feeling that he knew the man. Said man flinched a little before clearing his throat.

"I'm just someone that serves Hua-chengzhu." Yin Yu said, the sharp ones noting how he didn't say ghost.

Then they immediately began nodding in unison. Xie Lian said, "It's not bad, not bad at all." Shi Qing Xuan followed his cue, "Yes yes, it's very good right?"

The flock of ghost women gathered around them as they began discussing Shi Qing Xuan's face.

"Very nice, there's no sign of rot at all."

"Little sister, where did you get your face done?"

"Are there any secrets to preserving your skin?"

"Can you recommend the place to us?"

Shi Qing Xuan was at a loss for words, and could only force out a laugh, tinged with hysteria. "Really? I think my face is really good too, haha, hahaha, hahahahaha......"