44-Take Me Home, Country Roads

Real quick I want to mention a very amazing story I just finished reading on here that I highly recommend for everyone else to read and add to their reading lists. It's about everything that happened before rdr2 started from when Arthur then John first joined Dutch and Hosea. It really made me feel like I know John and Arthur so much better. Great read! Check it out! It's called:

Fire and Water: a Red Dead story
by Jcpinto00 (that's Jcpinto then two zero's)

Birds chirping. Flies and mosquitoes buzzing. The occasional splash in the swampy waters surrounding them. A warm, heavy presence on her stomach. A dull, throbbing pain in her left leg. K slowly feels the world coming back around as her senses start to focus in on individual aspects of her surroundings. She squints at the bright sun shining through the windows as she opens her eyes. She looks down to see Tacoma's large head resting across her stomach.

"Hey boy." She whispers, her throat dry and scratchy.

"You're awake." Charles speaks up from a chair beside her bed. "Here. Drink." He simply orders as he hands a cup of water to her. Tacoma whines slightly, watching her carefully.

"How long have I been asleep?"

"Only since yesterday. After you passed out in the boat we brought you back here to get a closer look at the damage. You took a hit to the left leg. Luckily it was a clean shot, straight through. You lost a fair amount of blood which is why you passed out right after the adrenaline wore off. Tacoma's been right next to you the whole time. So much so in fact that it wasn't the easiest task to clean and sew up the wound. He kept trying to help clean it." Charles laughs to himself at the recalling of Tacoma's insistence on attempting to lick the wound clean.

"Yeah, he does that anytime I get so much as a scratch." She smiles, sounding groggy as she pets the wolf's massive head. "Did everyone make it back okay? John..."

"He's fine. Abigail hasn't let him leave her sight since we brought him back."

"Good." She smiles in relief.

"Are you hungry? I could get you something to eat?"

"Yeah, that would be good."

Charles stands and leaves to go collect some food for her.

"You tryin' to get me in trouble, young lady?" The familiar rasp of John's voice sounds from the doorway as he sticks his head in.

"What are you talkin' about? Am I? With who?"

"With Arthur of course. He's gonna kick my ass when he gets back and finds out I let you get shot while breaking me outta prison." He replies light heartedly.

"Oh, right. Well at this rate I'll be all healed up before that happens. If that happens."

"Now, don't talk like that. There ain't no amount of land or ocean that'll keep that stubborn bastard from findin' his way back to you and this gang."

"I hope so."

"You'll see K. And thank you. For coming and getting me. And also bein' there to get Hosea outta that mess alive. If there is anything you ever need I'm here. Just ask and you can consider it done." He offers with a genuine sincerity in his voice.

"Ehe, don't worry about it. That's what you guys do for each other around here, right? I'm just happy to be a part of it."

"I'm just glad everyone made it outta there in one piece. Even with Arthur not here to kill me, I worried for a minute there that Charles was gonna do it for him if you'd a been hurt any worse!" He admits with a laugh.