11-'Gutter Hund'

After calming the woman and her two children and establishing that they were a German family and that their father had been kidnapped by bandits, the two outlaws offered to go find the man and to bring him back to them. They began tracking the horses that had fled the area and eventually tracked them to an area that Kay referred to as Clemens Point, along the bank of Flat Iron lake. As they approached they observed a small camp set up. The three of them dismounted and cautiously approached.

"Ya know this looks like a much better camp spot than back there. Much easier to defend." Charles pointed out.

"Maybe...This looks like our feller Charles." Arthur states as they approach a man bound and gagged on the ground.

"Quick, cut him free and let's get outta here." Charles pushes.

As Arthur removes the gag the man spouts a mouthful of German at them urgently, ending it with "It's a trap!" In English.

"Take cover!" Arthur shouts as a barrage of gunfire surrounded them. The three rush to cover behind some barrels and wagons and proceed to unleash strategically placed shots of their own. There were at least five of them until eventually even more arrived on horseback. Once they were down to three remaining shooters they seemed to be struggling to land a shot against them due to their positioning at well covered various points. They seemed to be caught in a shoot out that wasn't progressing anywhere. Finally Kay had had enough.

"Screw this." She said to herself. "Arthur! Charles! Hold your fire!" She instructed her companions. She then placed her hands to cup around her mouth and let out a long, low, drawn out whistle that gradually rose in octaves. What came next was fast and lethal. A shadow leapt from the woods silently from behind their attackers and one by one took them out with a quick rip of the throat. One down, moves onto the next. Two down, moves onto the last. By the time the remaining man had turned and realized what was going on it was too late. All he saw was a mouthful of razor sharp, white teeth and yellow eyes and then it was over. Silence filled the air.

 Silence filled the air

"Jeezus." Was all Arthur could say at the incredible display of speed and power they'd just witnessed.

"Incredible." Charles whispered to himself.

"Poor bastards never even saw it comin'." Arthur thought out loud.

Tacoma stood there holding his head low, keeping his eyes on Arthur and Charles then shifting his focus back onto Kay, looking for any further instruction or signs of distress on her part.

"It's okay big guy. I'm fine. You did good. Go on, git." She instructed him and in a flash he was gone again.

"That was the most amazing thing I have ever seen." Charles stated breathlessly with a smile growing across his face. "Arthur, did you see the size of him?! He was bigger than any wolf I've ever seen! His jaws snapped those men's necks like twigs!"

"No kiddin' Charles. I wasn't makin' it up just to hear myself speak." Arthur sarcastically spat back, obviously a bit shaken by the speed and amount of lethal power he'd just witnessed.

Kay had gone back to the bound German man while the other two stood there letting it all soak in, inspecting the severity of the damage that the wolf had managed to inflict on the three dead bodies. She untied the man and checked to make sure he wasn't hurt.

"Lieber Gott! Was war das für ein Biest?" (Dear God! What was that beast!) The man asked but Kay had limited knowledge of the German language beyond the few commands she'd learned when training Tacoma. She saw the direction he was looking and assumed what it was in regards to though.

"It's okay. Uuhhhm....a.....Hund....my friend." (dog). She did her best to explain and put him at ease. She'd made it a point to learn how to translate the word "dog" in many languages. People of any dialect were much more accepting and easier to calm if they heard the word "dog" rather than "wolf".

"Hund? Deins? Gutter Hund!" (Dog? Yours? Good dog!).

"We came to take you back to your family." She said slowly, hoping he would understand.

"Meine Familie? Sie leben? Oh, das ist wunderbar!" (My family? They're alive? Oh that is wonderful!). He exclaimed happily. Apparently he understood. Arthur had come to join Kay, Charles was still marveling at the scene behind them.

"I'm gonna take this feller back to his people, then I'll go let Dutch know about this spot and help finish any packing back there then lead the group here. Do you think you could help Charles get rid of all these bodies and clear out the stuff they had here before we get back with the women and Jack?" Arthur asked her.

"Of course. If that's alright with Charles." She agreed. She guided the man to Arthur's horse, who climbed on behind Arthur.

"Yeah, I'm sure Charles will be fine with that." He said, rolling his eyes ever so slightly. "Thank you Kay. For all your help. I'd like to talk to you if I could when I get back if that would be okay?"

".......yeah. I'm okay with that." She told him. He tipped his hat to her and headed off back the way they came.

Kay approached Charles. "Do you have any preferences on how you wanna move these? Or you just wanna grab the shoulders and I'll take the feet?"

"Actually we'll use the horses." Charles responded, laughing to himself.

Authors note:-Sorry, short chapter. I have this story written out through chapter 38 already and some of these earlier chapters just seem to be much shorter now that I'm re-reading it as I post it. Towards the second half they all get pretty long. Hope you're enjoying it so far and it's not too cheesy.:-)