40-Hold Me While You Wait

K urged Orion on at top speeds, his coat covered in white, frothy patches of sweat. "We're almost there boy. I'm sorry. Almost there." She encourages him between tears. She came skidding to a halt in front of a building that stood in solitude off the trail and was surrounded by woods, an odd structure towering in the backdrop. "Doverhill." She whispers to herself as she dismounted. Orion collapses to the ground in exhaustion.

"UNCLE FRANCIS! UNCLE FRANCIS!!" She yells out while pounding on the door. The rain picks up from its steady downfall into an all out downpour, further soaking her to the bone. Finally the door flung open.

"Kelly! What's the matter? Come in!" Francis greets her, sounding concerned.

"We gotta go! Down south, to Lemoyne!" She frantically demands between breaths. "Tacoma's been shot! Uncle, he's lost so much blood! He's dying! We gotta go!"

"Of course, let me grab my things."

"Hurry!" She cries out desperately.

"You're soaked through, dear! You need to..."

"I need to go! Now!!"

"Yes, yes."

K steps back out and goes to check on Orion. The exhausted animal still lies in a heap on the cold wet ground, gasping for air. "Orion...I'm sorry, friend. You can't die! Not you too!" She cries while resting her forehead against the side of the fallen horses face, her fingers tangled into his mane.

"Oh dear...he's not going anywhere, sweetheart. We'll have to both take my horse. Marko! Please, can you see to this animal? See if there's anything you can do for him?" He asks the man in the doorway.

"Wha...? Sa poor ting iz exzhausted! Hiz..."

"I know, I know friend. Please, can you try?" Francis interrupts, trying to keep K from hearing what Marko was going to say.

"Yez, yez, of course. I weel try. Go!" He urges in his thick, Serbian accent.

 Go!" He urges in his thick, Serbian accent

"I'm sorry boy...I'm so sorry!" She gasps as Francis guides her to his horse. He mounts up then offers his hand to assist her up behind him then spurs the horse onward. K stares back at her fallen companion on the ground in the mud until she's no longer able to see him.

 K stares back at her fallen companion on the ground in the mud until she's no longer able to see him