24. CHANGE OF PLAN

《 A/N … I appreciate every single one of you who have stumbled upon this story of mine and would be absolutely grateful if you could leave a like or sneaky comment on this. It helps me know I'm on the right path but also keeps me motivated to write more stories like this.
Much love. 》

_______________________________________________________________________________________

“It’s a six day drive to the port from here. There is no fucking way we have time for that.” Johnny exclaimed as we loaded into the truck.

“Yeah thats not ideal König…tell me we got another way to get there faster.” Ghost added gruffly but I spun from the front seat and frowned at them both, watching them raise a brow each, before I turned to König in the drivers seat and patted his arm, smiling softly.

“In case you both forgot, it takes 27 days for a ship to get from Mexico to Russia and Alejandro didn’t stop the ship from departing, they just don’t know that those trucks never made it on…we have time, 6 days will have to do because risking an airdrop from here is too risky without Nikolai and you both bloody know it.” I said bluntly but sternly, as I turned my attention to the road ahead.

The truck fell into a deadly silence for a few minutes and I knew they were thinking about what I’d said while König, I could see him relax slightly next to me. The poor thing really did hate confrontation and being questioned but he had done his best given the time frame, distance and danger going where we were going, even with his friends in each country, it was going to be dangerous.

“Well shit.” Johnny huffed and I spun around, narrowing my eyes at him. “No. no…I actually didn’t think about that…its just normally these kinds of missions are all, ‘go, go, go.’ You know.”

“Nope.” I replied with a cheeky grin and watched him narrow his own eyes playfully at me. “Look I get it I do…being cooped up in a truck for 6 days, its gonna suck but its what we gotta do and honestly, tunes will make it go faster…so will napping. So lets just get to that port, unless Price or Alejandro come through with new information, of course.”

I noticed Ghost get comfortable before he laid his head back and closed his eyes. Johnny turned to him as well before he threw his arms up. “Seriously Lt…you’re just going to let her be in charge on this?”

“Hey!”

Ghost opened an eye before he nodded stiffly. “Why not. She seems fitted to take charge. And I’m tired.” Oh it was an effort to not smile at that comment because I heard the underlying tease in it, he was 100% referring to last night and whether Johnny understood that completely, I didn’t know but Johnny did roll his eyes at Ghost, before he raised a brow at me, then slumped back and folded his arms over his chest.

I turned back around to König and smiled softly at him, while he drove, getting us out of the city and onto the open road towards Czechia, before we cut through Poland, Belarus and into Russia. We would stop as needed for fuel and piss breaks but apart from that, we were going to try and keep the stops for resting to a minimum, even though I knew physically we shouldn’t, but the guys wanted to get there ASAP.

~~~~~

10 hours in we stopped off at a small fuel station in Porosly and I demanded that we actually spend half an hour stretching our legs. “Look I know you don’t like it but I am the medic here and we are pushing the limits already. 30 mins, thats all I’m asking for.” Ghost grunted but nodded, agreeing.

Things were back to being weirdly comfortable between us. I don’t know if it was because we ended things nicely, or if he was just over being a grumpy around me, but it was nice, he wasn’t avoiding me but he wasn’t being overly, flirty and ‘feral’ with me either. It was like it was in the beginning, getting along nicely and I was actually happy about that, happy it ended my way because I got closure.