The Woods

Y/n's POV (Warning: chapter will be a bit longer than the others. Also someone has a mental breakdown. Guess who it is and tell me if you got it right)

Wednesday February 13
The five of us sat in a secluded part of the woods in a circle. The folder was in the middle of the circle. We hadn't opened it yet.
"Soooo.." Susie said, finally breaking the silence. "Are we gonna open it or just keep staring at it?"
Roy sighed.
"I suppose we should open it." said Ross.
Roy snatched the folder and started to open it.
"Give me that. You aren't mature enough to be touching police records." I said and tried to snatch it back.
"Maybe the one who found it should be the one to hold it." Suggested Ross, taking Robert's hand. A slight flush grew on Robert's face.
"Or maybe we could just set it in the middle?" Said Susie.
"And let these precious papers touch the ground? Hell no!" Said Roy as he moved the folder out of my reach again.
Susie groaned.
"Can we not argue for once?" Said Robert.
"Yeah Roy! Stop arguing!" I teased.
"Me? You're the one trying to snatch the papers from me!" He complained.
"That's because you can't handle grown up papers!" I said in the way you would talk to a baby or a pet. 
He gave me a disgusted look and stood up. I stood up as well. He clutched the papers to his chest and slowly started to back up. I approached him at a similar pace.
"Guys?" Said Robert in a concerned tone. 
Roy turned around and bolted. I ran after him. I heard rustling behind me briefly as the rest of the group stood up. Roy was a lot faster than he looked. He may have little legs but they move fast. 
"Get back here you little gremlin!" I shouted after him. I heard evil cackling from in front of me. Roy had already disappeared behind the foliage. That little shit is gonna pay for this. 
Susie caught up to me and ran beside me. 
"I think I know a way to catch him!" she said breathlessly. 
"How?" I replied.
"You know how wolves hunt in packs? One of em keeps pace behind the target while another curves around in front and blocks em!"
"Um.. Ok?"
"You go block him! I will stay behind."
"I guess that could work."
I took a sharp turn and began to curve through the woods in an attempt to cut in front of Roy. 
But I couldn't find him. I began to realize I was completely lost and slowed down. I called out for Susie but there was no reply. I began to call the rest of the team's names. Robert, then Ross and then..
"ROY?! Heloo?! ANYONE!!?" 
"What?" said a voice behind me. 
I whipped around to find Roy standing behind me.
"What the fuck! You startled me!" I complained.
Roy chuckled a bit and I realized that that was probably what he was going for. 
"What is it?" He asked after he was done being amused by my jumpy-ness. 
"I think I got lost. Susie and I were trying to catch you and I lost the path." I admitted.
"You got lost in a public park?" He teased.
"It's a surprisingly big forest for a park." I retorted.
He smirked. 
"Don't worry. I know my way around here from the excessive amount of nature walks that Robert forced us on. Follow me." He said. 
He turned and started to walk in some random direction. I followed him for lack of a better option. We spent what felt like hours just walking through the woods turning in some new direction every now and then. 
"You sure you know where you're going?" I asked.
"100%. I've been through here, like, 20 times." He said confidently.
"We've passed that rock before." I said, pointing at a large boulder.
"Nah.. There are a lot of boulders in here." He said, his confidence faltering for a moment.
"Look! Those are our footprints!" I said, pointing at the ground where a patch of our distinct prints was. 
"Um.. those could be any old foot prints. Not ours." Roy replied, his previous confidence wavering significantly.
I grabbed his shoulders. 
"Roy. We're lost. We've been going in circles." I said Sternly.
Roy looked at me dead in the eyes. I had forgotten that feeling. He hadn't done that weird staring into my soul thing in a while. It felt different this time. It wasn't intimidating and foreboding like it was when he used to bully me. This time it felt like a plea of some sort. Sad and trapped.
He opened his mouth like he was going to argue again but, lacking anything to say, he closed it again. He shook me off and went to sit against the boulder. He had a dejected look on his face and seemed like he was on the verge of tears. Though that didn't seem to fit with his usual persona. I sat down next to him. 
"I guess we should call for help." I suggested.
"U-um.. Y-yeah. D-do that." Roy said. I was surprised.
I turned to look at him to discover that he was crying. He seemed to be making an attempt to hold back his tears but they were fighting back and clogging up his voice.
"Woah, hey! Are you ok?" I asked.
Well that was a stupid question. Of course he wasn't ok! He was crying in the middle of the woods!
"Y-yeah. I-I'm fine-ne." He said, wiping his eyes. "Just call Susie or Robert or whoever else you have on your phone." 
He looked away and stared at nothing on the ground. Oh no. No no no. That was the wrong answer. You can NOT just break down crying on the ground and then suddenly turn around and say you're fine. Roy was an arrogant asshole but my stupid empathetic heart wouldn't let me just brush this off. I found myself doing something I never in my life thought that I would do. I leaned over and wrapped my arms around Roy's shoulders in a weird side-hug-thing. 
His eyes widened and he froze for a second. Then he suddenly started sobbing. And when I say sobbing I mean SOBBING. I guess my banshee nickname for him was more accurate than I thought. Tears streamed down his face and he curled his knees up and wrapped his arms around them. I didn't say anything. I just sat there and let him cry. I felt like this level of emotion wasn't solely caused by getting lost. Something else must be going on. The sobbing eventually slowed down and Roy wiped his face again. He looked away and more tears fell down his face, but he seemed to be a bit more stable.
"Do you.. want to talk about it?" I asked. I wasn't the best at comforting people but I hoped I was doing the right thing. 
He sniffed  and wiped his nose on his sleeve. He shook his head a bit. 
"Alright. If you decide you want to talk don't be afraid to-" 
"It's my family." He interrupted me.
"Oh.." I said. "What.. what about your family?" 
Fuck. Did that sound stupid? Or insensitive? Or both? Roy didn't seem to care. 
"They're gonna be so mad at meee!!" He wailed "M-my mom and dad are gonna be so.. DISAPPOINTED!!"
"Woah! Ok!"
"A-And they're gonna.. shake their heads and say- say- 'Roy we-we taught you better than this! W-We are just so d-disappointed.' a-and they'll say. 'Roy, we are st-stressed right now and-and can't deal with your behavior. We're going on v-vacation.' and then they'll send me to my UNCLES HOUSE and I'll have to stay with HIM until they get ba-a-ack!!" Roy continued
"They don't take you with them?" I asked.
"NO!! They go on vacation to AVOID ME! I just want to leave with them.. JUST ONCE but they never take me with them! A-and so I c-can't stay in the hou-ouse alone and they sendmetomyuncleshouse!! I hate my uncle and I hate his GODDAMN HOUSE!!" Roy bawled. "His house has MOLD just GROWING... EVERYWHERE! I hate mold! And the dishes are DIRTY and I HATE DIRT! And the rooms are all dusty and I HATE DUST! And the SINKS and TOILETS are all growing BACTERIA surely! You know what I hate more than dust and dirt and mold? BACTERIA!"
"That sounds disgusting." I couldn't hold the statement from slipping out of my mouth.
"It IS! But worst of all it's my UNCLES house! If it were one of my friends I could get over it! Maybe even help 'em clean! But it's my UNCLE! I HATE MY FUCKING UNCLE!!" Roy continued to sob.
Shit. His Uncle must be pretty bad. Roy looked like he was about to say something but a sob choked him and he just continued to cry.
"I shouldn't have gotten lost.. I'll get home late or something and then they'll know.." Roy said quietly.
"Hey.. It's, um, it's not your fault we got lost. Just tell them you came to find me because I was lost." I suggested.
"More like I stumbled across you trying to find MY way out." Roy muttered.
"They don't need to know that." I said.
Roy looked up at me in surprise.
"You're just gonna let me throw you under the bus like that?"He asked.
"What are they gonna do? They aren't my parents. Most they can do is call my mom and she wont get mad if I got lost. They don't even have my mom's number anyway." I said.

"Thanks.. I guess.."
He wiped his eyes and leaned into me a bit more. We didn't speak after that. We sat in silence, just listening to the distant chirp of birds and rustling leaves. 
I wasn't keeping track of time but we must have been sitting in the woods for a while because the sun had started to go down. I didn't want to say anything because, to be honest, I was sort of enjoying this peaceful moment, but, I knew we couldn't just stay out here forever. I was about to say something but found it wasn't necessary.
"ROY!! Y/N!!!" I heard a familiar voice shout from the trees. 
"Over here!" I shouted back. 
Susie came bursting through the bushes into our clearing and Roy pushed me off him immediately. I saw a slight, embarrassed blush grow on his cheeks. 
Ross and Robert followed quickly after Susie.
"Oh thank goodness you're alright!" Exclaimed Susie as she ran to me. She hugged me quickly and then pulled away, gripping my shoulders.
"Where the FUCK have you two been?! It's been hours!!" She shouted. She sounded angry and scared as tears welled up in her eyes.
"Roy, what happened?" Asked Ross in a calm yet worried tone as he approached. 
"We've been looking everywhere for you two! Did you get lost?" Robert said anxiously as he ran over and crouched in front of Roy. 
"Yeah. Yeah we got lost." I said, my head spinning a bit from the sudden hug and loud noise. 
"Why didn't you do anything!? Were you just sitting here the whole time?! In silence?!" Susie yelled as she shook my shoulders. 
"Susie! Susie stop shaking me!" I cried. I grabbed her arms in an attempt to get her to stop.
"I had run off into the woods to execute the plan and ended up getting lost. I called out for you guys but no one responded. Then Roy found me and.." I trailed off. I looked over at Roy to see he was staring at the ground, prepared for the explanation. I could have said that Roy got us horribly lost and it would have been the truth, but- I just couldn't. I couldn't just throw Roy under the bus like that after everything that just happened. 
"..And then I tried to retrace my steps to get us back to the path but we ended up getting even more lost. I was just about to call one of you guys when you found us." I lied.
Roy looked up at me, surprised that I hadn't told the truth about what happened. I stared back at him with intensity and he looked away. 
"Oh. Well you must have been pretty lost because it's 5:26!" Said Susie. Her initial panic and anger were starting to fade. 
"We should get out of here, guys. It's getting late and I don't want to be in the middle of the woods when it's dark out." said Robert.
"Agreed." Said both Ross and Susie in unison. I chuckled. I guess it was cool that Susie was becoming friends with the other Hatzgang members. Means that were at less of a risk I suppose.
We all stood up and began to make our way out of the woods. 
I don't remember what reminded me of this but, as we were making our way through the woods, I remembered that Valentines Day was tomorrow. And Valentines day meant the school fundraiser- I mean, dance. Ugh. I felt that I probably had to go. Susie really wanted to go and didn't want to go alone. I didn't have anything nice to wear, nor do I like big social gatherings, so I was dreading the event. 
I shoved that thought aside and decided I would worry about it tomorrow. Right now we had to focus on getting out of the woods.