"Zero Redeemable Qualities"

Y/n's POV

Friday January 26th
"Seriously? This place?" Asked Roy when we arrived at our destination.
"Yes. This place is good." I replied.
We stepped into the little cafe on the edge of town. I went to this place with my parents sometimes but never on my own or with a peer. We sat across from each other in a booth and waited for the server to take our orders. I guess if this plan was going to work I had to make conversation. 
"What is your favorite food?" I asked, attempting small talk. 
"Fish I guess." He responded in a slightly annoyed voice.
"Do you like cartoon dogs?"
"I dunno. I like Scooby Doo."
"What's your favorite film?"
"Human Centipede."
What a weirdo. I always knew he was strange. He always wore the same sweater, he always looked a bit sleep deprived and a bunch of other things that would make someone stand out. But now that we are spending more than five minutes with each other without him trying to kill me, I noticed that he was even stranger than I originally thought. He kept looking around the place like he was nervous. He tapped his fingers on the table, either in impatience or nerves. He answered all of my questions strangely. Like when I asked him what his favorite video game was and he answered with 'Minecraft and Resident Evil 7.' Two very different games. Or when I asked what he did for a living as a joke and he responded with 'my mom breeds cats. I don't.'
Eventually I just gave up asking questions and studied his behavior. His eyes started nervously flitting around the room again. He started tapping his foot, from impatience I suppose. The server was taking a long time. It was busy here tonight. Unusual for a place like this.
I heard the door open and a guy ran into the diner, looked around for a second and then sat down across from someone else. 
I think it's just everybody in this town who is strange. Even Susie can be a bit weird sometimes. I guess something about this town attracts the strange and unusual. 
The server finally showed up. They looked both bored and stressed at the same time. 
"What can I get for you two tonight?" They asked in a monotone voice.
"A milkshake for me please." I said politely. The server wrote that down.
"I guess I'll have a milkshake, too." Said Roy, not so politely. The server nodded and left to the next table. 
"If you won the lottery and got 1 billion dollars, what is the first thing you'd spend it on." I looked up in surprise. The question pulled me out of my thoughts as I had zoned out. Roy was now looking directly at me, his head resting on his hand with a bored expression on his face. He looked like he would rather be anywhere else but here. I felt the same.
"Umm.. I would probably donate some of it. 1 billion is a lot of money. Then I would-"
"I just wanted to know the first thing." He interrupted. "I'd like to say the same but if I'm being honest I would probably spend it on something dumb first. Like a shit ton of candy or a roll of golden toilet paper." 
Rude. His answer seemed accurate to how I knew him, though. We fell into a strange silence after that. It wasn't uncomfortable or awkward, really, but it wasn't comfortable either. 
Our milkshakes got here. This place always made good milkshakes. 
We ate in silence. I noticed my plan was working. Roy seemed uncomfortable. Though his plan was working, too. I didn't want to be here. Both of us were too competitive to admit that, though. 
Eventually we finished our milkshakes and I checked the time. 9:50. Shit! Had I really been here that long?
"I have to go. My mom said I had to be home by ten" I said and started to get up. 
"Wait. You up for another challenge?" said Roy.
I paused. It was for the game. If I said no then he would win the bet. But who knows how long his "challenge" would take? My mom would be so mad if I got home late but.. If I win this bet it will benefit me more in the future. I tried to come up with an excuse other than "I'm wildly competitive." This is an investment. Definitely.
"What kind of challenge?" I reply, raising an eyebrow.
"Follow me. You chose the diner. I'll choose this." He got up and left, leaving me to pay the goddamn bill. I slapped some money on the table and stormed after him. 

"Can you please tell me where we are going?" I said after what felt like hours of walking and probably was. I heard multiple notifications from my phone but ignored them. I assumed it was my mom because I was late. I hoped she wasn't too worried. 
"Nope!" He said smugly.
"Why?" I complained
"Because we are already here." 
He stopped walking and turned towards a building close to the sidewalk. It looked abandoned. 
"I have been wanting to explore this place but I can't go in alone and Ross and Robert are too big of wimps to help me."
"What? Do you need me to boost you to the doorknob?" I teased.
"Would you stop making fun of my height for one second!? NO! I just don't want to get hurt in there and not be able to get out. Abandoned buildings are dangerous." He yelled.
"Ok ok. I'll help you. I'm kind of curious, too."
"Good. Come on."
Roy speed-walked confidently up to the heavy looking door of the building. He started pushing on the door trying to get it open. I walked up to the door and grabbed the handle. I pulled the door open, pushing Roy in the process and entered the building before him. 
"You, bitch! Wait for me!" He yelled from outside.
We looked around the large, vacant room that we were in. There were cracks in the ceiling where the stars shone through. Moss and ivy grew from the ceiling and spiraled down the large, cracked pillars. The floor was missing in some places, allowing grass and weeds to grow through. The only light in the room beamed down from the cracks in the ceiling and the glow coming from the open door behind us. The majority of the room was completely dark.
"Did you bring any flashlights?" I asked.
"No. No I didn't" He said.
"What?! You pull me off to explore some abandoned building and DON'T bring flashlights?!" I yelled.
"Shh! Someone could catch us!" Roy said in a loud whisper. 
"Why didn't you bring flashlights?!" I say, matching his whisper.
"I wasn't planning on coming here beforehand. It was a spur of the moment type thing." He explained.
I groaned. I couldn't believe this. How dumb could this guy be?
"Well lucky for you I brought my phone. It has a flashlight mode on it." I say.
"Oh yeah! Flashlight mode!" Roy said, pulling out his phone. 
I rolled my eyes as light from my phone cast out into the darkness of the room. There was another floor. I saw stairs leading up to a balcony area that had doors in the wall leading to other parts of the building. Roy's phone light mixed with mine causing the room to illuminate even more. 

(A/n: Gonna start adding my art into some chapters

(A/n: Gonna start adding my art into some chapters. Please don't repost any of it. Enjoy!)
(Future edit: all art in this story is now pretty old.)

We stood in silence for a moment, just taking in the large room we were in.
"Well. This place isn't going to explore itself. Let's go." Said Roy. He started forward into the building but paused and turned around when he realized that I hadn't moved. "Unless you're scared or somethin'." He smirked.
I was snapped out of my trace by his snide comment. 
"You wish." I said and followed him further into the building.