Chapter 30! Whooo!

Y/n's POV (TW: Mentions of drugging)

Friday March 13 ooo spooky!
So after Robert and I left Roy's house, we puzzled about how to spend the rest of the day. We couldn't go back to school because we would get detention but if we went home our parents would be mad at us. 
We decided to visit Ross at the hospital. Ross didn't wake up the day after the exploration of the cursed house, nor did he wake up the day after. In fact he still hasn't woken up yet. We had thought that the cultists had just hit him over the head like they did to Roy, but it turned out to be much more serious. The doctors had said that Ross had been given some mystery drug and that knocked him out. What the drug was, we still don't know. The doctors say they are doing everything they can but there isn't much you can do when you have no idea what you're dealing with.
Robert had a nervous look on his face the entire walk to the hospital. Of course we were all worried about Ross but Robert was by far the most worried. Of course, they were dating now, but also, Robert had been friends with Ross even before they were friends with Roy. They were the closest of anyone in the group.

"Name." Said the bored front desk lady when we arrived at the hospital.
"Um.. Y/n and Robert. We're here to see Ross? Ross Williams." I said. (Had to come up with last names for everybody)
The front desk lady clicked a few keys on her computer before turning back to us.
"Sorry. Only family is allowed to visit at the moment." She said. Her name tag said Pam.
"Ummm.. We ARE family." Said Robert. 
I turned to him in surprise. I had never heard Robert lie before. Robert was nervous and never wanted to put himself or his friends at risk so the fact that he was lying- to an adult no less- surprised me. 
"Really? And what relation do you have to the patient?" Questioned Pam. She raised an eyebrow at us.
"I'm his- uhhh- cousin. I'm his cousin." Said Robert. 
I could see that Robert was starting to get fidgety. He tapped his foot lightly and his hands shook a bit. He nudged me lightly.
"Oh! I'm his- his... His step sibling!" I lied. 
Pam's eyes narrowed at us. She was definitely suspicious of us. But I guess she wasn't too suspicious because she stood up and gestured for us to follow her.
"C'mon. He's in room 103." She said in a monotone voice. 
We followed her down a hallway, up a flight of stairs and down another hallway before coming to a door labeled '103.'
"Alright, he's in here. I'll come get'ya when your visiting period is up." Said Pam, gesturing toward the door.
"Thank you mi-" Started Robert, but he was interrupted by Pam crouching down to our level and whispering to us.
"I know you kids ain't family, alright? I don't know why you're so desperate to see this guy but I think I could guess." She nudged Robert lightly. "Don't tell my boss I let ya do this, alright?" 
We nodded quickly. Pam stood up and walked away without another word.
We pushed the door open and entered the room. Robert rushed to the single bed in the room and I followed close behind. Ross was lying on his back, his beanie had been removed and set on the table beside the bed. He looked oddly peaceful, as if he were just sleeping, but he looked pale and sickly as well.
Robert gripped the bed sheet lightly and tears started welling up in his eyes. I held his shoulder in an attempt to comfort him. 
"Do you think he's gonna be ok?" Said Robert, his words choked.
"I wouldn't know. We just have to hope." I said quietly.
Robert nodded, tears starting to fall down his face.
"Oh Ross. I'm so sorry. I should have been there faster or stayed with you or stopped texting or something- I don't know but I could have done something and maybe this wouldn't have happened." Robert sobbed.
"Hey! Don't blame yourself for this. It was the cult's fault for existing in the first place." I said, gripping his shoulder a bit tighter.
"I know I know." cried Robert, wiping his eyes. "I just- maybe if I had- maybe he wouldn't have-" 
"Sure, maybe we could have done something different, but we didn't. This was the turn of events that occurred and there is nothing we can do about it now. It's not going to help to think about all the things you could have done. That will just make you feel worse. Instead, think about what you can do now. Focus on the present. On the things you can change." I said firmly. Damn, where did that come from? 
Robert stared at me for a second and then nodded. He turned back to Ross, tears dripping onto the bed sheets. Tears began to form in my eyes, against my will, blurring my vision. I shouldn't be crying but I couldn't help it. I closed my eyes, trying to hold back crying.
I heard Robert start to cry harder. We stood like that for awhile, the only sound was Robert's quiet sobs.
"Alright, kids. Time's up." Called a familiar voice from behind us.
We turned around to see Pam standing in the doorway. It was time for us to go.
We left the hospital and by the time we were out Robert had started to gain his composure again. I checked the time on my phone. 2:05 pm. 
"We still have time to kill before school ends. Got any ideas for how to spend it?" I asked Robert as we began a slow stroll down the sidewalk. He sighed.
"No. I can't really think right now." He said sadly. 
"Understandable. Follow me, I know what to do." I said.
I quickened my pace and Robert took a second to catch up.
"If you had an idea, why didn't you just say so?" He asked.
"I wanted to make sure that you didn't have anything else you wanted to do." I said.
"Oh.. Ok." 

"This is the place!" I said once we arrived at our destination.
"Da-" Robert started to read the name of the cafe.
"DON'T say it out loud." I interrupted. 
"Why?" He questioned.
"Cuz.. uh.. someone died here." It wasn't technically a lie, but it wasn't the reason he shouldn't say the name.
"Why wouldn't I be able to say the name, though? If someone died here recently it would be shut down and if someone died here a while ago then it shouldn't really make a difference, right?" Asked Robert.
"Just forget it. Let's go inside." I said.
"Um- ok." He said in confusion. 
He went inside, but I had to do something first. I looked at the person reading this.
"Don't say anything about this, ok?" I asked politely.
I then followed Robert into the diner.

*Closes door slowly*

Bonus:
I sat on a swing hanging from a tree. I stumbled across it on a walk. Today was one of the few peaceful days I have had in a while. The sound of someone's footsteps pulled me out of my spacing. I turned to see who it was. Roy. 
"Hi." He said. Did he want something?
"Hello." I responded.
"Can I sit here?" He asked.
"Sure." 
He sat down by the tree that the swing was attached to.
"Do you want something?" I raised an eyebrow.
"Maybe. I wanted to ask a question." 
"Shoot."
"Why.. why did you give me a second chance?"
I paused and then sighed.
"Do you want one?"
"Um, I think so."
"Are you not going to fuck it up?"
"I mean, I'll try not to."
"And you understand that if you do I'm not giving you another one?"
"Well, I do now."
"There you go. I'm not going to try to stop you from being a better person if you actually want to be one. People can change. You could, too. Let's hope you don't prove me wrong."
There was silence for a second. 
"Ok.."
His answer surprised me. Just ok doesn't seem like the thing that Roy would say. 
We sat in silence for a moment. 
"I think I want a Slushy." I said.
"It's March."
"So?"

(Don't mind the weird background

(Don't mind the weird background. I am practicing but backgrounds are not my strong suit. This art is also pretty old.)