5

"I'm going to give you all the materials again..." Ms. Thornhill talks to a student before class in the conservatory.

"How do you lose him in a bathroom with no windows?" Wednesday whispers to Thing who stands behind a plant. He shrugs, "A lefty wouldn't have failed me."

The appendage hunkers down, knowing the girl is disappointed in him.

"Don't sulk. Now, I'm going to have to find new evidence myself," she says, not noticing Bianca watching her, "since you're the one who lost our only lead."

"I see you finally made a friend," the siren jokes, "even if it is a plant."

"I go for quality over quantity," Wednesday fires back. Bianca rolls her eyes and walks to her seat. The Addams girl follows. She looks around for an empty table to sit at.

"There's an open spot next to me," Xavier offers, "if you can stand sitting that close to an elitist snob."

Wednesday goes to sit next to him before the door to the conservatory opens. Tana walks in. Her neck and hand are still bandaged, but she's out of the infirmary. She takes an empty table in the back. Wednesday decides to sit next to her instead, Xavier rolling his eyes.

"Welcome back Tana. We're thrilled to have you and Wednesday join us on our journey into the world of carnivorous plants," Ms. Thornhill starts, "now... who can tell us the name of this beauty?"

Bianca raises her hand but Wednesday blurts out, "Dendrophylax Lindenii."

"Otherwise known as the ghost orchid," Bianca blurts out, not used to having someone else willingly answer.

"First discovered on the Isle of Wight in 1854," the Addams girl adds.

"Very good, Wednesday," Ms. Thornhill comments, impressed by her knowledge, "Looks like you may have competition for first chair, Bianca."

"Ooh!" the students snicker.

"Wednesday, perhaps you can identify the ghost orchid's greatest qualities," the redheaded teacher asks.

"Resilience and adaptability," she answers, "it's able to thrive in even the most hostile environments."

"But its mere presence can change the ecosystem, causing the established plants to reject it," Bianca adds.

"Usually because the native species is allowed to thrive unchecked," Wednesday fires back, "nothing a Weedwacker couldn't fix."

"You can most certainly try," the siren scoffs.

"Are we still talking about flowers?" Xavier questions, making the other students laugh.

"Thank you, ladies, for those illuminating insights," Ms. Thornhill says, "clearly the plants aren't the only carnivores in class today."

***

After class, Wednesday goes to find Enid to ask for a favor.

"I have to get back to the woods, but Weems has been watching me like a vulture circling a carcass," she says.

"And you want me to cover so that you can return to the scene of a crime that didn't happen?" her roommate questions as she works on her canoe for the Poe Cup.

"I have beekeeping club this afternoon. I need you as decoy," Wednesday confirms.

"Sorry. Two strikes," the blonde says, "I'm busy and bees totally creep me out. Why don't you ask Thing? Oh wait, you can't because he's mad at you."

"Why's he mad? He's the one who screwed up with Rowan," the Addams girl explains.

"All I know is that we spent an hour giving each other manis, and he really opened up," Enid says, "he feels like you don't respect him as a person."