13

"Tana, we need to talk," Wednesday bursts into the Hummers' shed. Tana jumps, her hair sparking.

"How... how did you know I would be here?" she questions. Wednesday's eyes draw up and down.

"Because I know you didn't set that fire," the Addams girl admits. Tana lets out a breath she was holding, relieved that Wednesday believes her, "Principal Weems is already looking for you."

"Oh god," the redhead panics, "I'm gonna get detention for sure. Or what if they expel me? I don't have anywhere to go, Wednesday! I'll die out there!"

"Tana," she gets the girl to stop pacing, "You're not going to be expelled. Where were you before the fire started?"

"In my dorm. Alone," she explains.

"Did your dorm mother see you?"

"Maybe? I'm not sure," Tana sighs. Wednesday thinks for a moment.

"Let's go," she grabs Tana's wrist.

"Where are we going?"

"To Weems."

"Wednesday! Are you crazy?" she rips her arm from the girl's grip, "I'm gonna get in trouble."

Wednesday gives her a glare, "No you aren't. Let's go. Now."

Wednesday is new to having friends and although she is protecting Tana, she is showing it in a weird way. A stern, orderly way. The redhead sighs and follows the Addams girl out of the shed.

***

"Miss Addams, I don't have anything to discuss with you right now," Principal Weems sighs from her desk. Wednesday stands in the doorway, Tana hiding next to her.

"Yes you do," she says. She pulls the redhead in by the wrist.

"Tana Adler."

"Principal Weems, I swear I didn't——"

"Save it, Miss Adler, you are——"

"Principal Weems," Wednesday cuts the blonde woman off, "Tana didn't do it."

"Really?" the woman sneers, "In case you haven't noticed, there's a fire outside."

"Just because she's the only pyrokinetic student doesn't mean she's responsible for every fire," she defends the redhead, "There is no proof she set those fires."

Wednesday rips the gloves off of Tana's hands, "No burns. No smell of smoke. Someone else did this."

The principal stands up and walks over to the redhead, who is extremely intimidated by her. She inspects the girl's palms, while Tana nervously looks over at Wednesday.

"Where were you, Tana?" Principal Weems asks.

"My... my dorm room," she stutters, "I swear."

Principal Weems eyes the redhead, who gulps. She then turns her attention to Wednesday.

"And how are you so sure? You were in here when the fire was started," she asks. Wednesday looks down before answering.

"B-Because... Tana is my friend," she stutters. The redhead turns to Wednesday, who avoids her gaze, "In addition, she is incapable of controlling her powers. She would not be able to set fire as complex as this."

Principal Weems thinks for a moment, caught off guard by Wednesday's statement.

"I will be checking with your dorm mother for confirmation," she decides. Tana sighs.

"Thank you, Principal Weems," she says. The blonde looks to Wednesday.

"You're welcome."

The two girls leave the principal's office.