11

"Ah, the fetid air of teenage angst," Gomez Addams says as he steps out of his family's car. It's Parents' Weekend at Nevermore and the two parents can't wait to see what their daughter is up to. Pugsley is brought along, of course, siblings are also welcome, "these were the best years of our lives, were they not, Tish?"

"Yes, they certainly were, mi cariño," she smiles, the tone of her voice always calm, "I hope Wednesday's happy to see us."

The family looks around, waiting to see if Wednesday will come to find them.

"I left a dozen messages on her crystal ball. Still no reply," Morticia says.

"Fret not, my plum-lipped cupid," Gomez assures, "I'm sure she's dying to see us."

He lifts her hand and kisses it. Their affection is always on display, no matter who is around.

"Come on," Pugsley says, "Let's go."

***

"Nevermore was created as a safe haven for our children," Principal Weems announces in the quad to all the families, "to learn and to grow, no matter who or what they are."

The families applaud the woman.

"I realize most of you have heard about the unfortunate incident involving one of our students," she continues, "but I'm happy to report that Eugene is on the mend and is expected to make a full recovery. So let's focus on the positive and make this Parents' Weekend our very best yet."

Enid and Wednesday stand in the back of the crowd, avoiding their families.

"On the mend?" Wednesday questions, knowing Principal Weems is sugarcoating his condition, "Try in a coma."

"Have you been to see him?" Enid asks. The Addams girl turns to glare at her, "You're his friend."

"I'm the reason he's in the hospital," she points out.

"That is not your fault, okay?" the werewolf assures her, "The monster hasn't attacked anyone in the past week. Maybe you finally scared it off."

"Or maybe it went into hiding to avoid this weekend," Wednesday suggests. Her family walks into the quad.

"Look at this. Some things never change," Morticia comments, looking around. She and Gomez are hand in hand, Pugsley eats something.

"I knew I should have worn my plague mask," the girl comments.

"Would you look at my family?" Enid comments, looking in the opposite direction of Wednesday. The group of wolves jump around on one of the tables, "Talk about toxic pack mentality. I give my mom thirty seconds before her judge-y claws come out. Let's get this over with."

The two girls walk in opposite directions to their families.

"There she is!" Gomez smiles. Her mother opens her arms for a hug, "Oh, how we missed those accusing eyes and youthful sneer."

Gomez hugs her, even though she hates physical touch.

"How are you, my little rain cloud?" Morticia asks.

"I thought Thing was filling you in on my every move," she accuses. Her parents' eyes widen, "I uncovered your feeble subterfuge almost immediately."

"So, how's the little fella doing?" Gomez admits, "Does he still have all his fingers?"

"Relax. I haven't snapped any of his digits. Yet," she comments.

"So tell us everything," Morticia smiles.

"Since you've abandoned me here, I've been hunted, haunted... and the target of an attempted murder," Wednesday explains.

"Ah, Nevermore. I love you so!" Gomez exclaims, he and Morticia smiling. While everyone else catches up with their families, Tana sits at a table by herself.