6

On the morning of the Poe Cup, Wednesday briskly walks past Bianca to find Enid. The siren holds a high head, thinking this year will be like any other
and she will win.

"We're all set," Enid says to Wednesday.

"Good. Thing's in position," the Addams girl adds.

"You wanna tell me what you two were up to all night?"

"And spoil the surprise?" Wednesday asks sarcastically.

"Speaking of surprises, your costume is in the tent," the blonde smiles. Wednesday's normal blank face drops for slight fear.

"Costume?"

Enid takes her over to the changing tents. She comes out in a black suit with cat-ear headbands. Enid wears a similar costume.

"OMG, you look purr-fect!" the blonde exclaims, "Only thing, where are your whiskers?"

"Ask again, and you'll be down to eight lives," she replies. The entire school joins down by the water for the Poe Cup. Four boats from four halls compete. Enid looks over at Ajax, the gorgon she has a crush on. She waves to him, "Focus."

Xavier, who is on the same boat as Ajax, looks over at Wednesday. She looks at him, but then past him, spotting Tana standing in the grass. Her bandages are removed, but her skin is scarring. Tana looks away when she spots Wednesday looking.

"What do we have here?" Bianca's voice pulls the girl's attention away from the bank, "the runt of the litter."

"For the record, I don't believe I'm better than everyone else," Wednesday informs her, "just that I'm better than you."

"I want to welcome you all to the Edgar Allan Poe Cup," Principal Weems announces into a microphone, "this is one of Nevermore's proudest annual traditions, dating back 125 years. Each team must row across to Raven Island, pull a flag from Crackstone's Crypt, and hustle back without sinking or being sunk. The first team to cross the finish line with their flag wins the Poe Cup and bragging rights for a year, as well as some special privileges. Let the Poe Cup begin!"

Principal Weems fires the starting pistol and the teams begin to row.

"Go, go, go!"

"Move. Faster!"

"Come on, ladies. Let's go!"

The students and faculty on the banks cheer as the teams begin their journey to Raven Island. Xavier's boat, the Jokers, passes the Black Cats, taking first place.

"Oh, excuse us!" he comments. Bianca's boat, the Gold Bugs, is in fourth place. She nods to a student standing hidden along the bank. He quickly takes his shirt off and dives into the water.

Under the water, his legs merge together and his tail comes out. The siren boy swims quickly towards the boats. Another boat, behind the Black Cats, starts to pass them. Their boat is equipped with axes, that swing forward to take the girls out. Although they duck, preventing their heads from being cut off.

The siren catches up to the boats, beginning to push the boat with the axes attached to them.

"Turn! Turn!"

He pushes their boat into a buoy, sinking them.

"Come on, man. We lost 'cause of you."

Bianca's team laughs as they pass, taking third place, but still in last overall. While the Black Cats continue to row, Wednesday takes out her spyglass, seeing the siren's mermaid tail in the distance.

"Thing," she says. He pulls a lever on the bottom of the boat. It shoots a net out underwater, trapping the siren. The Jokers are the first to arrive at Raven Island.