Chapter 84

3rd POV:

3rd POV:

"I know you guys are staring at me." She says.

"What, sorry?" Steve says and Dustin and Lucas copy him. The three of them start to look at anything other than Max to look distracted so she doesn't think that they were looking at her.

Ivy looks up from her book and she notices the boys doing this. She hits Steve on the shoulder, giving him a look because she knows the boys are just copying him.

"You said you needed something?" Lucas says.

"Just hanging out." Steve says.

"How you think your eyes boring into the back of my head is protecting me from Vecna, I don't know." Max says, getting up from the desk and walking over to the others. "You can look at me now." She tells them.

"Thank you." Dustin says.

"Sorry." They all say to her.

"For you." Max says, passing Dustin an envelope. "For you." She says, passing the next envelope to Steve. "For you." She says, passing the next one to Ivy. "And, um, you." She says, passing the last one to Lucas. "Oh, and, um, give these to Mike, El and Will. If you can ever get a hold of them again." She says, passing three more envelopes to Lucas to pass on.

"Stop it." Ivy whispers to Steve, noticing him opening the envelope.

"What?" He asks, not realising what he was doing was wrong and continued.

"Hey, whoa. What are you doing? No, don't. That's not for now. Don't open it now." Max tells Steve and Dustin off.

"Don't...okay." Dustin agrees. "I'm sorry. What is this?" He asks Max.

"It's, um...it's a failsafe." She tells them. "For after. You know, If things...If they don't work out."

"Wait, whoa. Max, things are gonna work out." Lucas says.

"No!" She interrupts. "No, I don't need you to reassure me right now and tell me it's all gonna work out. Because people have been telling me that my entire life and it's almost never true. It's never true. I mean, of course this asshole curses me. I should've seen that one coming." She says, a small tear trickling down her cheek.

Steve and Ivy hold onto each other tighter, hating that Max is hurting and trying to find a type of comfort within each other. They hate to see her like this and they both want to comfort her but they know that isn't what she wants, she doesn't need that right now. Right now she needs a plan and to make sure that everything is in order so she has said and done everything she wants to do in these 24hrs. They won't be her last, they'll make sure of it, but she needs the comfort of knowing it's all sorted out and how she wants it.

Max looks over to the table and sees the walkie, getting an idea.

"If we go to East Hawkins, will this reach Pennhurst?" She asks, wanting to deliver the last few envelopes she has.