Chapter 1

3rd POV: 10th November - 4 days after Will Byers went missing

Hopper was looking through the woods with Powell for any clues. Although now he knew it had something more to do with Hawkins National laboratories , he still had to keep up appearances. They reached a deeper part of the woods, not somewhere anyone really came as it got really dark and creepy at night, some people even say they hear voices this far out.

As he was looking around he caught sight of what looked like smoke rising from a tree in the distance but it was hard to tell with all the trees surrounding that area, almost like they are protecting it.

"I don't think there's gonna be anything out here, Chief." Powell says.

"You can go back, there's something I have to do first." Hop tells him.

"You need any help?" 

"I'll be fine." Hopper says.

Powell turns and goes back the way they came but Hopper doesn't move from his spot, not wanting Powell to see where he was heading. He waited until he couldn't see Powell anymore before moving towards the rising smoke.

It was hard getting through the trees, the closer he got to where the smoke was coming from the denser the trees got. However he eventually made it through.

When he did he didn't expect what he saw, then again, he didn't know what to expect at all. 

Infront of him was a large tree with a red door in it's trunk. It looked almost like it was from a fairy-tale he would've read to his daughter. He walked up to the door and knocked, hoping that whoever answered the door may be able to help with the case, maybe they saw something.

The biggest thing he didn't expect was a young girl, no older than 16, open the small red door to him and poke her fiery red hair around the side.

"Hello, my name is Chief Jim Hopper. I am here on a missing persons case. I was wondering if we could have a chat." He said, gently. He wasn't sure why but he felt the need to speak to this young girl with care.

"Um...yes. C...come in." She said after a moment. She opened the door a little wider and allowed him inside. 

He walked inside and was not surprised by how homey and fairy-tale it was on the inside.