Chapter 18: Daylight

Monica's P.O.V.

Monday morning rolls around and instead of being disappointed at that, I'm actually pretty happy because I remembered we're on break, so I'm able to sleep in and enjoy the morning. My parents have already gone to work and since I'm an only child, it's nice to have some peace and quiet as I get ready for the day. I'm overly excited this morning too because Ashton and I are going to pick up Michael's guitar this afternoon before training, since one, I finally got the right amount of money, and two, I need to obtain it before the week is over, so why not today?

After showering and making myself look acceptable, I attempt to make some pancakes but I accidentally burn the first batch. Luckily no black smoke is visible, but the kitchen now smells horrible so I crack open a few windows to let some fresh air in. The doorbell rings as I'm finishing that task and yell, "It's open!" over my shoulder, knowing it's Ashton and also knowing it's noon.

"What did you do in here?" is the first thing out of his mouth as he appears in the kitchen. I look over and notice his scrunched up face, trying not to breathe in the burnt smell.

"Well, good morning to you, too, Ash," I sarcastically greet him, stepping back to the counter where my mixing bowl lies. Realizing I'm going to need to whip up more batter, I begin measuring out the pancake mix and adding it to my bowl. While doing so, a pair of arms snake around my waist and a chin rests on my shoulder from behind.

"Sorry, love, good morning," Ashton says in a hushed tone and kisses my now-reddened cheek. "Better?"

There's no way this small gesture can go without a smile and he releases me when he sees the bright grin on my face. Ashton takes a step to my left and watches as I continue mixing my breakfast.

"Okay, but seriously, what happened in here?" he asks again.

"I burned the pancakes before," I admit, finishing stirring the batter and now moving on to pouring it in the pan.

"Wait, wait, wait!" Ashton shouts. He rushes to my other side and grabs the bowl away from the heat source, setting it back on the counter.

"What?" I question. "I want my breakfast!"

He returns to the stove and rotates the dial so the heat isn't as strong. "If you don't want to burn these next ones, you probably should turn down the heat." He glances at me with a small smirk that causes him to seem like a know-it-all.

"Well, thanks for that information," I sass, snagging the bowl again. Out of the corner of my eye, I see his hands fly up in defense.

"What did I do?" Ashton inquires.

Sighing, I answer, "Nothing. I'm sorry, Ash. I get crabby when I'm really hungry and it didn't help that I burned the first batch."

"Oh, thank God. I thought something major happened," he half-jokes. I roll my eyes at his attempt to cheer me up and I guess he noticed for he continues, "I think it would be a great idea if your boyfriend helped you, right?"

Smiling again, I hand him the bowl and watch him carefully spoon out perfect circles of batter into the hot pan. That's when I realize he doesn't have any bandages on his hands and they look so much better to the point where they're almost fully healed.

"Ashton!" I scream in excitement, causing him to almost drop the bowl.

"What?!" he shrieks back. He puts the spoon in the bowl and places it on the counter.

"Your hands!" I yell.

Ash grins at me and holds them out so I can really examine them now. They're still a little red, but there is no sign of blisters or anything else. "They're not completely healed yet and I'm not able to play my drums for a few more days, but I don't have to wear bandages anymore!"