Chapter 3: Wrapped Around Your Finger

Michael's P.O.V.

I have decided to take Monica's advice and merge our birthday parties into one huge party. The twist? It's a surprise for her. Am I the greatest best friend or what?

It's the day before the big party: Saturday, November 25th. My birthday was already a couple of days ago, but since we're combining our birthdays, I don't feel sixteen yet, even though I have received plenty of cards and numerous "Happy Birthday!" 's. My mind is stuck on making this the best party she's ever had.

"What's the plan again?" Calum asks while we wait in line at the bakery. I also want her cake to be perfect. A perfect cake for a perfect party for the most perfect girl given by the most perfect best friend.

"I've gone over this with you so many times, Cal," I groan.

"Seriously, when will you ever learn to listen?" Luke adds.

I sigh. "When she gets back from her thing tomorrow, we're going to surprise her."

"I know that," Calum sasses. I roll my eyes.

"She said she was going to text me when she got done because I told her we were going to hang out with Tatiana, like go see a movie or something. So when she texts me, that's our cue to hide and when she walks through the door, we jump out and yell 'Surprise!'. It's that simple," I repeat for what seems like the thousandth time.

"Okay, gotcha," Calum responds.

Soon, we're at the front of the line and I'm able to order the cake. I can't wait for her expression tomorrow when she sees it. Well, not just that, but the whole party, too.

"Is that all?" the cashier questions with a boring tone.

"Yes," I reply, handing her the money.

"You pay when you pick up the cake," she tells me, giving me back my money.

"Oh, when will it be done?" I ask.

"We can have it ready tomorrow morning," the cashier delivers. "Name?"

"Michael Clifford," I say and watch as she writes it down.

"Alright, you can pick it up tomorrow morning at 10:00," she informs.

"Thank you," I respond. She gives me a nod and we exit the bakery.

As soon as we walk onto the sidewalk, Calum gets a call. He usually gets phone calls from his mum so Luke and I start teasing him until he tells us to shut up. Luke and I exchange glances and we stay silent until Calum's finished.

"Yeah, thanks for calling. I'll get back to you on that," he says into the phone and ends the call. "Guys, we have a problem."

"What did you do now?" Luke mumbles.

"That was the Annandale Hotel. They've agreed to book us a gig, but when we were filling out the papers, we left the drummer position open and they need to know if we're going to have one or not, you know, in case they need to expect to set up a drum kit," Calum explains.

"Do you think we really need a drummer?" I ask.

"Now that I think about it, if we're going to be serious about becoming a band, we're going to need someone," Luke intervenes.

"Yeah, but who do we know that plays drums? All the kids in our school suck at it," Calum remarks.

I sigh before informing, "I know someone who might do it. I don't know him that well, but I could talk to him and see if he'd be willing to play for the gig."

"We need someone permanent, though," Luke replies.

"Well, let's give him a chance for the gig, and if we all agree he's okay, let's ask him if he'd want to join our band," I suggest.