Chapter 37: Lost In Reality

Monica's P.O.V.

One more day. It's Wednesday and there's one more day until the mission. I'm so fucking scared and I'm seriously thinking of not showing up, although the scientists will probably find me and drag me to where I need to be. Ugh.

The good news is is that I'm going to Ashton's tonight for a homemade dinner date with his family. I'm in my room figuring out what to wear, since Ashton said nothing too fancy, but I don't want to look like I'm ready to cuddle (although that's what I feel like). Finding something in my closet that's casual but still dressy, I pull it on and pair it with some cute shoes. Once that's finished, I work on my hair, not spending too much time on it since it doesn't look bad. I apply a little bit of makeup and then look at myself in the mirror, satisfied with what I see. Packing up one of my bags with my necessary items, I exit my room and check in with my dad, who's taking me over.

Twenty minutes later, I'm finally at Ashton's and my dad gives me the usual dad-daughter pep talk before I go in, although it's not needed since I will be with his family the entire evening. I eventually shake him off and get out of the car, walking up to Ashton's house. I ring the doorbell and a few moments pass by before someone answers the door.

"Hey, you," Ashton greets, opening the door to reveal him in an apron.

"Haha, nice apron," I laugh. I enter inside and immediately embrace him, catching him off guard.

"Thanks. What's this for?" he asks and closes his arms around me. Man, I've been craving this for so long. His scent, his hug, his arms, his everything.

"I missed you," I say.

"I missed you, too," he whispers. He rocks us back and forth and then loosens his grip, but I stay wrapped around him, not wanting to let go. "Okay, come on, babe. As much as I love this, I need to finish making dinner."

"Oh, sorry," I reply, unlatching myself.

"We'll have plenty of time for that later. But you do owe me something," Ashton speaks.

"And I think I know what that is," I respond. Grinning at him, I stand on my toes and close my eyes, our lips meeting for the first time in a while.

"Ew! Mum, they're kissing!" a little voice shouts, causing us to break apart. I can't help but burst out laughing before looking past Ashton to see Harry run into the kitchen.

"And that's my cue," Ashton giggles.

Together we walk into the kitchen and I notice his mum and sister are also making supper. I guess this is a family activity and I'm not sure where to stand after Ashton leaves my side, so I sit at the table and watch.

"Hi, Monica! Nice to see you again," Ashton's mum welcomes me, turning around from the counter.

"You, too, Mrs. Irwin. You're looking well," I reply, noticing how she's active and doesn't seem to be hurting. I haven't been over here in a while and the last time I was, she was still in bed.

"Thank you. I've been feeling much better lately! The doctor prescribed a different medication to help with the pain now that the burns are mostly all healed and it's really working," she informs.

"That's good," I comment, smiling at her. She nods and goes back to what she was doing.

Half an hour later, the food is ready and I help set the table with Lauren, who guides me through the kitchen and shows me where everything is. Once the table is full, we settle in the chairs around it and say a prayer before eating, and then we all dig in.