Chapter 6: Green Light

Michael's P.O.V.

Monica said she was just getting some water and she's been gone for at least ten minutes now. I'm not even focused on the conversation that Luke and Calum are engaged in, but rather I'm wondering about Monica. How long does it take to get water?!

Curious, I stand up from my spot on the couch and head into the kitchen to the sight of many parents chatting along with one another. I glance around at everyone and I can't seem to find Monica. Maybe she's in the bathroom?

I walk down the hallway to the restroom and it's completely empty, and she probably wouldn't be upstairs anywhere, so I don't even bother checking. As I enter in the kitchen again, I see movement outside on the patio and notice Ashton sitting in one of the chairs. I'm inquisitive as to why he's outside when the party's inside, so I approach the door and before I slide it open, I spot Monica in another chair, obviously talking to Ashton. They both look so happy and a pang of jealousy hits me in the stomach, although I don't even know what's happening. I observe the way she looks at him and I can tell something's up with her, but I'm not quite sure if she likes him or if she's just being friendly. Dude, calm down. She literally just met the guy yesterday. She's been your friend for years. But as I continue staring at them, the jealousy won't go away and I feel like I have to stop it.

Sliding open the door, I walk outside in the cool night air, the sound of Monica's giggles ringing in my ears. They immediately stop talking when they notice me.

"Hey, um, sorry to interrupt, but we were all, uh, just looking for you two," I hesitantly say, trying not to make this awkward.

"Oh, yeah, sorry about that. I did get water but then I noticed Ashton sitting out here alone and I couldn't just leave him like this," Monica explains, attempting to stand up from the chair but having a hard time doing so, so I rush over and help her. "Thanks."

"What am I always here for?" I rhetorically ask. I grin slightly at her and she returns it.

"Shall we go back in?" she questions to both me and Ashton.

"Yeah, I'm ready," Ashton replies, getting up from his spot. I lead us back inside and to the living room where Luke and Calum are still there.

"We were wondering where all of you went!" Calum exclaims as we get comfortable on the couches.

"Sorry," Monica and I apologize at the same time. We exchange glances and smiles and focus on the discussion.

"So, Ashton, all of us have a very important question to ask you," Luke says, suddenly being serious.

"Okay..." Ashton responds, gazing at us with a weird look and smiling a little bit.

Calum moves from his spot on the couch and faces Ashton, getting down on one knee and taking his hands. I bite my lip to try and stop myself from laughing and both Monica and Luke are chuckling. Even Ashton is trying so hard not to laugh.

"Ashton Irwin," Calum slowly speaks with complete seriousness, "will you join our band as our permanent drummer?" How he managed to say that without laughing, I cannot tell you.

"Do you have a ring?" Ashton asks.

"Wait, what?" Calum replies, dropping his hands and looking at him very confused.

"It's not official if there's no ring," Ashton informs, beaming at us. Calum whips around and his eyes move rapidly to try and figure this out.

"Quick, Monica! Your ring!" he proclaims, holding out his hands. Monica begins laughing hysterically as she slides her ring off of her finger and gives it to Calum, who, in turn, hands it to Ashton.