Chapter 38: Superhero

Monica's P.O.V.

The next hour goes by surprisingly very quickly and one by one, each of us has been zapped by the scientists to our places. I'm one of the last ones to go and my heart is beating louder than it did when Ashton and I first kissed. Oh, how I wish I could see him right now.

Shaking my head, I grab the necessary items for this mission (we were told to leave all of our belongings in the building since they have taken extra measures to make sure the structure stays standing) and step between the scientists, slipping my wand in my right hand gripper and readjusting the earpiece. Both of them take my arms and with a jump into white space, we land a few seconds later at an open grassy plain on the outskirts of Sydney. Wind and rain whip all around us and I try to look up to see the storm, but it's a little hard when this weather doesn't permit it, although what I do see is a bit scary.

"Alright, Monica!" Dr. Burnett yells over the harsh wind. "Do you see that break in the clouds to the east?"

I shift my head and body to the desired direction and squint my eyes at the storm. "Yeah!"

"When the wall cloud appears directly over your head, that's when we will tell all of you to shoot! We have placed each of you in the direct path where everything should line up!" he informs.

"Okay!" I answer. Dr. Jones manually twists me to face the north, where my wand will eventually connect with everyone else. That's when I realize I'm at the southern tip of the circle, if that makes sense.

Dr. Burnett points his wand at my shoes and recites the spell to make them heavier, which I instantly feel once the jinx hits. Dr. Jones, on the other hand, puts an invisible shield around me and I take in a deep breath.

"You ready?" Dr. Burnett asks with a small smile. I just give him a look and he chuckles. "Good luck!"

"You, too!" I reply and watch them zap right before my eyes, leaving me alone in this disastrous storm.

Michael's P.O.V.

Video games usually help me clear my mind of thoughts that I don't want to think about, but so far the one I'm playing isn't doing me justice. The love of my life is sacrificing herself in the storm that's howling outside and I'm so fucking scared right now. I might not have shown it before but damn, do I feel it now.

Entering in the kitchen, I open the fridge and pull out a can of soda, glancing at the clock as I do so. 6:33. Monica said the eye isn't coming until 7:04 and I'm curious as to how much damage there is so far, so hopefully soon I can walk out and see. My mom put a protective spell around our house so I have no worries about us, but a little part of me is worried about the rest of this town. Growing up hearing stories about the Acerbus Procella can really screw with your mind, especially when you don't know which is true and what will actually happen.

Suddenly, the front door bursts open and someone rushes inside. I peer around the corner into the hallway to see Ashton drenched in water with the most panicked expression on his face.

"Dude, we gotta go!" he declares, staring at me.

"What? Go where?" I question.

"To find Monica! I'm not leaving her alone out there!" Ashton shouts. "And you're the only one who can help me because I don't know the first step to finding her."

"Are you insane?! It's a fucking nightmare outside!" I convey.

"I know it is and that's why we need to be there with her!"