Chapter 9: If You Don't Know

WARNING: Sensitive topic will be discussed at the end of this chapter.

___________________________

Monica's P.O.V.

My phone buzzes on the night table beside me, causing me to wake up on a beautiful Saturday morning. Sitting up, I reach over and grab it, unlocking it and reading the text.

From: Ashton

Hope I didn't wake you, but do you want to hang out today? I've got nothing going on and I'm just going to be bored all day :)

Smiling, I message him back saying yes and I climb off of my bed to get ready. I have no plans today either so it all works out. After I shower, I notice he texted me again and asked what we should do. Well, I need to go into the city to do a little bit of shopping, so I reply back and ask if that's okay. While the messages go through, I scour through my closet trying to find something cute but comfortable to wear, since I'm going to be with Ashton but also walking around the city. I find the perfect outfit and change into it, checking my phone once I'm done.

Ashton: Yeah, that sounds good! Should I come to your house and we can walk from there?

Me: Okay, sure :) When will you be here?

Setting down my phone, I step into the bathroom and apply my usual makeup, also styling my hair into a lovely side braid. I glance at myself once more before being satisfied and head into my bedroom. My phone vibrates again on my desk and I answer it, reading the message.

Ashton: I can be there in ten minutes. You live on the next street over from Michael, right?

I respond back with my address and scramble downstairs to fix myself something to eat before we leave. I'm pretty sure we might eat lunch later but I'm already hungry now and I don't think I can wait. My parents greet me as I enter in the kitchen and I explain to them my plans for the day, now that I have some. They're alright with it and my mum hands me a plate of steaming pancakes. Sitting down at the table, I dig in and eat quickly.

A few minutes later, the doorbell rings and I stand up to answer it, knowing it's Ashton. I let him in and introduce him to my parents, clearing the table and heading upstairs to grab my bag. Soon enough, we're out the door and walking into the city.

"So, how was your night?" Ashton starts, turning onto the sidewalk.

"Pretty boring. All I did was homework," I confess.

"That's how you spent your Friday night?"

"That's how I spend most of my Friday nights," I tell him.

"No movies? No friends?" he asks, surprised.

"Sometimes, but it's rare," I say. Again, the real reason is because of training. Training is just like school, but shorter: five days a week for two hours a day. I don't normally do anything on Friday nights because I'm so tired from the week that all I want to do is sleep.

"Wow," he gapes.

"What did you do?" I question, moving it off from me.

"Well, I didn't do homework, I drummed, and I hung out with a few friends," Ashton informs.

"Do you ever do homework?"

"Sometimes. Okay, it's not that I don't like school and I'm rebelling against it, but now that I'm becoming more serious in drumming and being in a band, I just don't have much time for school. Drumming is my passion and I can make something of myself with it. I don't need to learn the chemical formula for hydrogen phosphate or how to simplify square roots," Ashton explains.