Chapter 41: Everything I Want

Michael's P.O.V.

After about fifteen minutes of battling, Monica can't take anymore and decides to sit down. I don't argue and follow after her to the bench, relaxing on it and taking drinks from our waters.

"You've been improving," she begins.

"Yeah, I finally told myself that I need to focus on this stuff. It's important in my life and I want to become stronger," I admit. It's true. Monica being picked for the mission and considered one of the ten most powerful Galaxies inspired me to work up to the next level. I may not be as strong as she is, but I need to be the challenge for both of us.

"Wow, impressive," Monica nods.

"Or maybe it was because you weren't here to distract me," I joke with a serious face.

"What? Nuh uh," she replies, looking at me in disbelief. I chuckle and she playfully shoves me. "You idiot!"

"Idiot doesn't insult me anymore," I confess.

"Fine. I'll call you...a white dwarf," she responds, smirking. The smile wipes off of my face and I stare at her with wide eyes.

"Oh, no you didn't," I express. In astronomy, a white dwarf is a star that has exhausted all its central nuclear fuel and is floating in space as basically a dead star. This term has been a common insult with Galaxies for the past few years because let's face it. No one wants to be called a dead star. It isn't too derogatory, but if used in a very rude way, it's offensive.

"But I did. Whatcha gonna do about it?" Monica questions lightheartedly.

"I'll get you back for it. Maybe today, maybe next week. I could even wait until next year. But I'll get you back eventually," I inform.

"Thanks for that warning. I'll keep an eye out for you," she replies.

"Michael!" Avalon calls. I glance up at the direction of his voice and see him standing with a vaguely familiar face. "Work with Justin, please."

I sigh and stand up, approaching Justin. He's one of our fellow Galaxies and he's super smart, the smartest in our group. But being bright isn't everything; he lacks the qualities of being a strong Galaxy like Monica. So although his brain is full of magic unknown to me, he doesn't do too well in battle, except for the fact that he can perform spells that we haven't learned, causing a disadvantage to his opponent.

"I see the way you look at her," Justin starts when we find an open spot to battle.

"What?" I question. I'm taken aback by his statement for a second, wondering why he's bringing this subject up.

"Monica. I've seen the way you two have acted over the years and just now when you were talking to her, I noticed how special she is to you," he continues and I avert my gaze to Monica, who is now having a conversation with Avalon.

"Yeah, I know. Why are you telling me all of this?" I ask.

"You gotta get her, man!" Justin says. "Everyone else in this room thinks you guys are the perfect couple and it's surprising how after all these years, you're just 'friends.'"

"Wait, everyone?"

Justin nods. "It's so obvious. We've all seen moments between you two that it's been a huge discussion in here for quite some time."

Damn. We hardly talk to these people and yet we're the topic of gossip. But as much as I agree with them and would love to finally have Monica, there's one person standing in my way.

"Yeah, well, she has a boyfriend and it's not me," I inform.

"Really?" he inquires with a very shocked look.